Spitfires in the Soviet Union. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

According to the kill list of Slovakian pilots serving with 13.(Slovak)/JG 52 (published in book "Letka 13 v dokumentoch a obrazoch" by J.Bystricky and P.Šumichrast) two Spitfires were shot down by Slovakian pilots: one on 7th August 1943 by čatnik Alexander Gerič and another one on 18th August by rotnik Anton Matušek. To my knowledge though Slovakian pilots considered P-39 Airacobra as far more dangerous opponent.

In a BBC WW2 story Osprey Girl wrote:
"This story is about my father, Leading Aircraftsman (LAC) William Parker and, in his own words, tells of his war time RAF service 1941 — 1946 in the Persia and Iraq Forces known as PAIFORCE.
Later I was transferred to RAF Shaibah which was near Basra and had two large hangers in one of which I found myself building Spitfires that had come by sea in crates to Basra. Later I found out that at a meeting between Churchill and Stalin, Stalin required help from Churchill in the form of Spitfires to help in holding back the German advance towards the Russian town of Stalingrad.
The way in which the Russian pilots collected the planes was strange. Our pilots flew the Spitfires over the border to Abadan in Persia from where they were collected. I did the engine check on the last one to cross the border.
When the work on the Spitfires ended there was a rumour that Stalin wished to give the Red Star medal to the airmen who has been involved in the supply of planes but this was refused by Churchill. To this day I do not know if this was fact or fiction...."
Also in the article 'Spitfires over Kuban' above there is a photo of Spitfire VBs whose supply I have traced:
City of Lille's valuable cargo

Ivor[who was a radio officer on this trip],
Looking through the production and despatch records of the Spitfire Mark Vb reveals that your cargo was 7 Spitfires Reg EP212/348/495/505/760, EN901/970. They saw quite a bit of service around Leningrad and Archangel.
It is worth remembering that the support organisation that you were part of around the frontline staff was key to surviving the Axis at that time.

I have a few more scraps if anyone is interested...?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back