Squadron 2009 Catalogue Question

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Bill G.

Banned
Jan 26, 2009
Plainwell, MI
I ordered the Squadron Shop 2009 catalogue late last year. I have talked to Squadron several times this year wondering when it was going to show up. They said that they sent it out bulk rate (super slow).

I am wondering if anyone else has received their catalogue?

I thank you all!

Bill G.

Thanks A4K!

I called Squadron today (Wednesday). They agree it is lost in the mail. So they are mailing me another.

Squadron has been a very good place to do business over the years.

My girl friend told me of a problem they had with bulk mail years ago when her and her father ran a shipping business. They had a bulk mailing that seemed fine. The local Post Office handled the local part just fine. The rest went to another PO and sat and sat. Finally that PO sent it back saying there was a problem with it. By the time it got back, the mailing was worthless as the event it was for had already happened. I am thinking that this could be what has happened with part of the mailing.

Bill G.

G'day Bill!

I don't know what happened there, but I got mine on Monday (I live in Hungary).

I agree they are a great place to do business, but NEVER ask for the 95c insurance! I just paid a fortune for my stuff because they sent it bloody Fed Ex - postage was more than the entire order although there was no weight to it!!!

I just checked the mail and still nothing.

I am glad you have it. I'll bet it didn't go bulk rate to Hungary!

Where in Hungary are you? The reason I ask is that my Dad's parents were from Hungary (Austro-Hungarian Empire). They emigrated to America before WWI separately. When my Grandfather left, they said he had to come back in two years to serve in the AHE Army. He never went back!

After WWII, he lost track of most of his releatives for about 20 years. Then he had contact with a close relative. She came here to visit. It was a huge shock to her to see how we lived. My Aunt and her went grocery shopping. My Aunt was busy filling the cart and she was just as quickly putting stuff back for fear they would get in trouble! Since neither spoke the other's language, it was interesting explaining that you wouldn't get into trouble.

She loved coffee, but wouldn't drink any here because she just couldn't get any back in Communist Hungary!

During the visit, she wanted him to go to Hungary to visit. He just refused. It took a bunch of prodding, but we finally got the answer. He was certain that if he went back, he would be forced to serve in the Army even at age 70! We couldn't explain to him that that wouldn't happen! He was just certain he would be forced to serve in the Army!

One was from Buda. And the other was from Pest. I forget which Grand was from which side of the river!

My Grandma became a slick smuggler of nylons. She would send winter coats back to friend. She would open the lining very carefully and insert many nylon hose. Then she would super carefully sew the lining back in. The Commies never caught on!

I hope I didn't bore you with this typing. I am just glad the Iron Curtain is gone.

Bayla G.
(Bill)

That's an interesting story mate, thanks for sharing it!

The curtain is gone, but many things haven't changed. Beaurocracy and corruption are still rife, and alot of possible progress gets stunted at the root as the individuals responsible for various projects make sure a large portion of the revenue lines their own pocket first. Workmanship and planning often suffers as a result as managers skimp on material and other costs to make up the difference. It's very sad.

The town I live in is Pecs, about 3 1/2 hours out of Budapest. It was once 'the crossroads of Europe', one of the most influential European trading cities as such, before the three towns of Buda, Pest and Obuda were united to form the current capital city. It was the fifth city in the world to establish a university (in 1367), and has been the home of artists such as Ferenc Martyn, and Viktor Vasarely. It has survived occupation by the Romans, the Avar, the Tartar, and the Turks, and continued to thrive under the Russian occupation (largely due to the coal and uranium mines in the Mecsek mountains).

Today however it is a dying city, with very little work, as all the famous factories (Pécsi glove factory, Zsolnay porcelain factory, etc) aswell as all the mines have been closed down.
The largest current employer is the Finn multi-national electronics company where I work, that employed (up until the world economic crisis...) a large percentage of the state of Baranya's work force (we had over 7,200 employees at one point!). Even the future of this company looks uncertain now, so I've no idea how long I can stay. Be nice to be able to stay till December atleast, though to make it the big 8 years!

In saying this, Hungary is still generally a beautiful country from what I've seen so far, and with stricter control on who in power gets away with what would be a much better place to live.

Evan

When I was stationed in West Germany in 1981, I saw a small part of the fence that divided East from West. That was sad for me because I knew a part of me was trapped by that fence.

I am sad to hear that the corruption that was rampant under communism hasn't changed. Until corruption is controlled, Hungary will never really prosper.

I am glad you enjoyed the story of my Grandparents. They were nice hard working and honest folks. My grampa had a small vineyard. He raised the best grapes!

Thanks for sharing what Hungary is today.

Bayla G.
(Bill)

No worries mate! What I wrote is just my view on it of course, based on what I've seen during my time here, although I do think it's a fair assessment of the ways things are here at the moment.
Be interested to hear what the Hungarian members of the forum have to say about it.

What sort of wine did your grandfather make, btw? My favourite is the Tramini!

Evan

What sort of wine did your grandfather make, btw? My favourite is the Tramini!

Evan

I never even tasted any! My brother did try a taste and didn't like it at all! All I know is is that it started with grapes and was less potent than moonshine! A classic vintage wine it wasn't!

I too would like to hear from others on Hungry. Maybe the moderator can now change the title of this thread to "Hungary Questions?? I hope the mods can and will do that to reflect the new direction of this thread.

Pretty Please!

Bill G.

I hope you've tried the Pálinka atleast - the Hungarian moonshine!
Good idea with the thread redirection!

Come to think about it, maybe that was what Grampa was making!

I am the wrong person to ask. I have never been much of a drinker. When I was 18 and in the Air Force I got drunk once. I haven't done that again! I don't drink any beer. Now maybe once or twice a year I will have a glass or two of wine. And no hard stuff.

In the early 80s when I was stationed in West Germany, I did have some of the German wines. A couple stand out. One was, and I know I am going to butcher this, Troffen Bier Und Auslasse (raisin wine) and the Ice Wine. Oh were those GOOD! A super dessert wine. They were so sweet and easy to drink. Now for my Mr. T. bit --- "I pitty the poor fool that would get drunk on these!" I can only imagine the hangover would last for weeks if not monthes!

Now we can only hope that the mods will change the thread and not be asleep at the keyboard!

Bill G.

"good morning, good mor-ning! wake up little sleepyhead..!!!" :)

Maybe drop one of them a PM mate, I reckon they must be flat out as it is with all the different threads to take care of..!

Btw, I don't drink much myself these days, but the Szilva Pálinka (Plum moonshine) was my favourite in my drinking days... some of the wines are nice though, and Pécsi Sör is a good beer, also Szalon and Soproni...

Evan

I AM AWAKE!

Oh you ment the moderators, sorry! I guess they are too busy out patrolling for SPAMMERS! But that is on another thread!

I am glad I never got into the drinking scene. I have watched too many do too much stupid stuff.

Back in 2003 when my Guard Company was activated and mobiliaztion training was about done. The Company Leadership decided to have a Company party at a beach just off post. And attendence was mandentory. I knew there would be a lot of booze. Later, I knew that people were going to be tossed into the lake willing or not.

I wanted no part of this.

So a few days prior, I went into the Orderly Room and talked with the First Sergeant and told him that I didn't want to go and shared why.

He just looked at me and said that he had a problem too. "He couldn't find anyone that wanted to be CQ during the party."

I smiled back and said, "I think we have just solved each others problem!"

So I happily did CQ. I was due for Company duty anyways.

After the party, the First Sergeant told me he was surprised by all the tossing of people into the lake. He expected some. I just told him that when you have booze, water, and soldiers, it will happen every time.

Many years earlier, when I was in the Air Force at Griffiss AFB, NY, my shop had a similar party next to the New York State Barge Canal. Four got drunk and thought it would be a good idea to toss me into the canal. I had already seen the yucky water. So I fought back hard. I didn't get tossed even though it started as 4 on just me. I had learned my lesson. And fortunately, I didn't hurt anyone fighting back. At the moment, I wasn't worried about hurting people, just keeping myself out of the water.

Bill G.

Great stuff fellas! Would love to know more about Hungary too, so keep talking! This Hungarian moonshine, is it as, well, "bad" as the Swedish one Chateau Garage, Casa La Attic etc....can make a 50 year old and rusty pipe look like new after a 5 minute bath....

This Hungarian moonshine, is it as, well, "bad" as the Swedish one Chateau Garage, Casa La Attic etc....can make a 50 year old and rusty pipe look like new after a 5 minute bath....

I am glad I am not much of a drinker! I would hate to think of what that stuff would do to my 55 year old "plumbing"!

I would like to hear more about Hungary myself.

Bill G.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back