Straight-winged F4U

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

hey!! i resemble that remark...lol. looks arent everything....i could put up with an ugly plane depending on how it handled in the air.

Ah laddie, you may be genetically inclined to carry bags on many dates - in hopes that performance will be pleasing..without suffering the Gorgon/Medusa effect..

It is far easier to love and bed a high spirited beautiful lass than take a chance on a Gorgon... but Philly, Pittsburgh and NY fans don't have enough of those in that section of the US to truly dedicate yourselves to the 'elegant'. Come to Texas where you can experience more joy in your remaining years.

BTW - how is the weather lately?

BTW - how is the weather lately?

balmy...once the electric socks heat up. i lived in the sw for several years. while scorpians, armadillos, and tarantulas ( and dont forget tornados ) all have their charm, a girl that dips snuff and can spit further than i .. can, on occasion, kill "the moment".

CDI5CA0.jpg

OK guys, it's ugly, but I would love to own one! Come on, a 4 place pressurized pseudo Corsair with an R2800!!!! There's only one other airplane where you can take 3 of your friends flying around in a round engine single engine warbird....

Skyraider-N188BP-01c.jpg

Last edited:
You guys are over analyzing the situation. It's not just a huge engine, huge prop issue. We are discussing a CARRIER landing plane dynamic. Any aerospace engineer's ability to reduce the nose up operation of the F4U is trending towards success. Just look at the Spad that FlyboyJ posted with its highly extended tail gear versus the Tempest configuration. It's a combination of mating engine, prop and carrier landing performance. That long nose highly influenced Marine operations during late WWII to be mostly land based. It was a real factor.

Several aircraft of WWII had inverted gull wings besides the Corsair: Aichi B7a, Junkers Ju87 (as previously mentioned), Dornier Do26 and the Heinkel He112 to name a few.

There were true gull wing aircraft during the war, such as the North American B-25, PZL P.11, Polikarpov I-153 and so on...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back