structural differences between Dornier Do-17 and Do-215

jjp_nl

Staff Sergeant
845
3
Joined
Apr 13, 2011
I'm looking into building Do-215 nightfighter model and just now got the ICM kit. Fit of some critical kits parts is however extremely bad and flimsy. It has short-run written all over it.

So I'm looking into other ways to make this project happen. One of the ideas that crossed my mind was to take a Do-17 kit, for example the revell/monogram Do-17 kit (fuselage in particular as the ICM parts are going nowhere really) and try to work it into a 215 by adding as much ICM parts as I need to, to build it into a Do-215B-5

However, I know little about the dornier 17 series so I was wondering....is the Do-215 basically no more then a Do-17Z with DB-601 engines? or are there other strutural differences I need to take in to account with my approach (size/shape of wings, elevators, rudders, length of fuselage etc.

Comparing a few basic measurements I've gathered it seems to me the general size/shape of the two types is all but the same if you put them back to back.
 
Dornier Do-17 Depot

Have a look there..

Basically the Do-215 was an export version of the Do-17Z. As stated on one of the sections on the link I posted, Sweden and Yugoslavia were interested in buying Do-17Z's before the war. Luftwaffe insisted they build the Do-17Z with a new designation the Do-215. The Swedish wanted better performance and insisted on the DB-601 engines.

Do-17Z-0 : used weaker M series engine, restricted bomb load. (Bramo 323 A 900hp)
Do-17Z-1: Similar to -0 but added the 4th machine gun in the nose (Bramo 323A 900hp)
Do-17Z-2: Better known version, 6 machine guns, upgraded engine (Bramo 323P 1000hp)
Do-17Z-3: Z-2 but with camera equipment
Do-17Z-4: Dual control training a/c
Do-17Z-5: Z-2 equiped with a beacon, survival gear
Do-17Z-6: equipment test a/c
Do-17Z-7: Used Ju-88C armament in a custom build nose
Do-17Z-8: Known to exist, no info on it.
Do-17Z-10: New nose, new armament, and infrared detector

Do-215V1: Same as Do-17Z
Do-215V2: A 17Z-0 with Gnome-Rhone 14 cylinder Radial (D-AIIB).
Do-215V3: G-R radial was not good enough, Yugoslaves insisted for DB601A, thus V3

All can be found in link above
 
Good stuff H!
 
Well done H.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back