Super Bowl flyover

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

BlackSheep

Banned
May 31, 2018
This may be posted already, if I missed it, mods please feel free to delete

There will be a pregame flyover honoring the 75th anniversary of the USAF of a
P-51D Wee Willy II
F-22
F-35A
And I believe an A10 and F-16

See the Air Force Heritage Flight Foundation for more and a livestream of the flyover at 6pm ET/3pm PT
The website appears to have crashed due to hits but Facebook should be up

Who would have ever imagined a P-51 leading that kind of tech. I'm not a pilot, maybe one of you can comment but was the F-16 a bit of a trick to fly with the Mustang? It appeared to be a little squirrelly. The A-10 seemed at home at that speed, lol.

I was stationed at Carswell AFB right across the runway from GD, and got to watch probably 100+ acceptance flights as each new plane was finished. They're very capable of low-speed/high AoA flight. They might have a little more of an issue with level flight at a Mustang's cruise but I'd be willing to bet it was not much of a tricky day in the office for that -16 driver.

Who would have ever imagined a P-51 leading that kind of tech. I'm not a pilot, maybe one of you can comment but was the F-16 a bit of a trick to fly with the Mustang? It appeared to be a little squirrelly. The A-10 seemed at home at that speed, lol.
Trust me, the F-16 can probably fly slower than P-51(not landing). Watch the leading edge slats on the FBW (fly by wire) jets, hardly any sliding forward which means the wing isn't working hard. My guess is any of the FBW jets in that formation can probably fight at a slower speed than the Mustang or A-10 can fly.

It's not a slam at all against the Mustang, time and technology has improved considerably since the early 40s. FBW makes things much easier, MUCH.

The particular F-16 in the video has a SW (Shaw AFB) tail flash, which coincidentally is the home of the Viper Demo Team. The demo pilots also get checked out for the Heritage Flight (qualified to do dissimilar form with the Warbirds). In 94 or 95 the Viper Demo guys went super twice during airshows (the plane has a gigantic GE motor). My point being it's basically idling flying on the Mustangs wing, and for the F22 it's even easier.

Cheers,
Biff

I would have loved to see "Fifi" flying with the B-52, B-1 and B-2.
Toss in "Sentimental Journey" with me in the nose.
Ahhhh, sweet memories. Attending Luke Days around the time I was 12 or 13, I managed to "get forgotten" on a quick walk thru the B-17G Sentimental Journey and spent 30-40 mins in the Top Turret position,watching a biplane acrobatic team, which gave me a bit of insight as to how hard tracking ME-109s/FW190s during an air battle would have been.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back