Super marine spitfire mk1 L1070 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Nov 3, 2021
Any information on a Hawker Hurricane P2825 that crashed in Belgium 16th may 1940

Last edited:
Shot down in combat with Bf 110s of 1./ZG1 near Wavre, 1815. Squadron Leader Patsie Gifford missing.
Sgt Basil Friendship:
Patsie sighted a Messerschmitt and chased it. Wilkie and I followed as it dived down to low level over---as it turned out---the German front lines. Terrific light AA fire encountered. Wilkie broke to the right and I broke to the left, then circled a pom-pom type gun which was firing at me. I zig-zagged, climbed and dived until I was out of range. Sqn Ldr Gifford did not return but I didn't see him hit the ground.
Sgt Roy Wilkinson:
We gained some height to have a better look around when from out of nowhere came a Messerschmitt 110, which shot down Sqn Ldr Gifford. I managed to shoot down the 110. I moved into position to get a full deflection shot that sent the enemy plane into a long, curving dive with one engine pouring smoke. I turned my Hurricane on its wing as I realised I had more 110s on my tail. As a Hurricane could out-turn a 110, I thought I had outsmarted the Huns. Glancing ahead, I saw a Messerschmitt 109 approaching head-on, with flashes indicating shell-fire emerging from the nose. There was no time for any sort of logical thought. I held my line, as did the other pilot, then opened fire at about 200 yards. The enemy aircraft screamed over my head and I never knew if I killed the enemy pilot or not. When I returned to Merville, Walter Churchill received confirmation from the front line that the CO had been shot down and that I had got the 110.
Bf 110C 2N+HH of 1./zg1 crashed near Walemstraat, Lt Heinrich Brucksch and Gfr Heinz-Werner Roth killed.

Hurricane P2825. Gloster built.

RAF Serial Registers. Taken on Charge 4 April 1940, 19 MU 17 April, AASF/HQ CFF 13 May, 3 Squadron 13 May, Struck off Charge 3 July.

Battle of France Then and Now by Peter D Cornwell. 3 Squadron Hurricane P2825 shot down in combat with Bf110s of 1./ZG1 near Wavre at 6.15 pm, Squadron Leader P. Gifford missing.

Thank Geoffrey
This aircraft was fitted with a merlin engine air ministry number 144494 this engine blew up under test.
I am trying to find what the new engine's was as I believe I have found the propellor of it in a Belgium museum
I have tried various organisations to no avail including Rolls Royce Heritage .
I have part of the prop number of the corroded serial number plate and I am trying to connect it to P2825
Would you or any of the guys would know where I could get this information
I believe form am 700 would have had this information but unfortunately this was
rdestroyed when the aircraft was struck of charge
Hope you or others can help

This aircraft was fitted with a merlin engine air ministry number 144494 this engine blew up under test.
I am trying to find what the new engine's was as I believe I have found the propellor of it in a Belgium museum
I have tried various organisations to no avail including Rolls Royce Heritage .
I have part of the prop number of the corroded serial number plate and I am trying to connect it to P2825
Would you or any of the guys would know where I could get this information
I believe form am 700 would have had this information but unfortunately this was
rdestroyed when the aircraft was struck of charge
If the Merlin failed during acceptance testing the new serial number might be on the AM 78 form. If it failed while at 19 MU their records might give the serial number of any replacement, but that is a long shot. Other than that the recommendation would normally be the Rolls Royce Heritage Trust which, as you note, is unable to help.

The propeller number is a serial, not a model? I do not know of anyone with details on propeller serial numbers, figuring out which model of propeller was fitted can be hard enough.

Looks like you have ground work to do. There is no list of prop serials fitted to engines fitted to airframes. That requires a lot of trawling through archives. The National Archive has ORBs, with some at the RAF Museum, which has copies of Form 78s on microfilm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back