Supercharger of V-1710 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Estefan

Recruit
Jan 28, 2009
Győr
Dear All, do you have information about the weight of the supercharger of Allison V-1710 engine. Till now i could not find information about it.

The supercharger casing seems to have been constructed as part of the engine block, so it is difficult to attribute a reliable figure for the weight. I imagine it was lighter than that of most comparable engines as, for most versions, only a single speed was provided. The preceding applies to the basic single stage version, obviously, versions with the auxiliary mechanically dirven supercharger stage or the turbosupercharger would have weighed more.

The supercharger was mounted in the accessories housing. This housing was made of cast magnesium alloy and was separate from the crankcase and cylinder blocks. It served very important structural roll. Basically it kept the cylinder blocks from cracking the crankcase.

Dear All, do you have information about the weight of the supercharger of Allison V-1710 engine. Till now i could not find information about it.

I think you misunderstood me. I thought of General Electric Type B-13 supercharger what was placed behind the Allison V-1710 engine into the fuselage boom.
P38 blower.jpg

Rolls Royce Merlin and Alliseon V-1710 was comared many times but when their weight was compared never was showed the total weight of Allison only the weight of the engine itself without weight of this spercharger. Which is not correct because this unit essentially necessary for power of the engine.

The P-38 did use a turbo but what your diagram doesn't show is that the turbo setup feed an engine mounted supercharger. All P-38s/P-39s/p-40s/p-63s used an engine mounted supercharger.

The engine supercharger can be seen in this photo;

AllisonV-1710F.jpg

The weight of the turbo-supercharger installation varied with the model turbo, the intercooler set up (early P-38s used the leading edge of the wing) and the ducting. weights for the Merlin and Allison ( and other liquid cooled engines) rarely include radiators or coolant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back