Swedish Sk 16A (Harvard IIB) 1/48

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Lucky13

Forum Mascot
Aug 21, 2006
In my castle....
Intend to build a Swedish Sk 16A at some point....
Already have the Italeri ex-Occidental re-popand as far as I can understand, is that all that I pretty much need to do, is some extra framing and the longer exhaust, as our Harvards were ex Canadian Harvard IIB's and built by Noorduyn...plus possibly the 'fighter' stick...

AT-16
Noorduyn built AT-6As for lend-lease as Harvards, 1800 built

AT-6A
Same as AT-6 but with 600hp R-1340-49 and removable wing centre section fuel tanks, 1847 built with 298 transferred to the United States Navy as the SNJ-3. Survivors re-designated T-6A in 1948.

T-6G
Earlier model AT-6/T-6s re-built between 1949-1953 with improved cockpit layout, increased fuel capacity, steerable tailwheel, updated radios and a 600hp R-1340-AN-1 engine. Identifiable by simplified canopy framing. 2068 modified.

SNJ-3
Same as AT-6A, 270 built and 296 transferred from USAAC.

Harvard IIB
Noorduyn built Mk.II's, some to US orders as AT-16's for lend-lease. Transfers back from the USAAF (1800) and 757 built.

Are those above, the same machines on the outside, besides the T-6G's canopy framing and the Noorduyn's with the longer exhaust?

Already have a couple of victims....

Regnr: (our Air Force's frame number) 16013, as F5-13 in yellow or as F18-13 in green. C/N 14-425, RAF FE691, US-nr 42-888...
Regnr: As F13-113 in green. C/N 14-576, RAF FE842, US-nr 42-12329...
Regnr: 16213 as F4-213 (F4 being my old airbase at home in Sweden) in green, she was an AT-6B though, C/N 84-7781, USAAF 41-17403, ex US Reg NC52620...

I also see that some have a 'straight' or a 'curved' rear canopy, the bottom part, why is that, is that to specific version of the Texan/Harvard?

Sounds good old chap. The control column or RCAF and RAF aircraft normally had the spade grip, similar to the Spit and Hurricane, but there was one batch which didn't have it(!) - I think maybe the later Harvard IV. Apart from the extra frames on the canopy sections, some of them of irregular shape, the rear, fixed section was longer, and had an extra frame in the middle. Unless you mould a longer rear section, there's not much you can do about it, and to be honest, the difference in length, in 1/48th scale, is minimal. On mine, I decided to live with it, and just added the extra frame, all of which wee made from painted tape.
The longer exhaust was made from a piece of tube from a plastic drinking straw, bent and attached via another piece of wider tube to the short, kit exhaust.
Here's a couple of pics (same kit as yours) to show the parts altered - note undercarriage doors are omitted on this Boscombe Down aircraft, as they were on some RAF examples.

Attachments

• Harvard Build 187.jpg
    Harvard Build 187.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 201
  • Harvard Build 190.jpg
    Harvard Build 190.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 133
Much obliged old boy, she's a stunner! Also noticed that, to do a correct 1/48 Swedish Sk 16A, with the correct longer rear canopy (curved lower part), it looks like I have to try to find a Modelcraft North American Harvard Mark 4 'Goldilock' kit....
Our B' and C' versions had the shorter canopy (straight lower part)...

Goldilock??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back