Sywell 2024

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Continuing with some ground views, and the early stages of the show, when four P-51D Mustangs took to the air, doing formation and solo passes.
I normally post my air show pics in chronological show order but, due to the aforementioned sequencing glitch on my PC causing a lot of time-consuming and annoying skipping back and forth, all following posts may not necessarily be in the correct sequence.

At least two of the P-51s here are new to the UK circuit, these being "QI-T" 'Jersey Jerk', and the late Bob Hoover's "Old Yeller", now painted to represent "G4-C" 'Nooky Booky IV'.
The Blue Nose "Miss Helen" is a long term UK star, whilst "WD-C" represents Don Blakeslee's 4th FG mount, and may be a re-paint of an existing airframe often seen before - I'd need to check to verify this.

More to follow soon ..................

Thanks Wojtek and Andy.

Having reviewed most of my images, I find that not only was I struggling with camera handling at times, but also the heat haze, causing distortion in some shots. Still, it was my first time in over nine months of using the cameras "actively", and also the first of any form of physical activity over the same period, with very stiff arm muscles and lack of articulation in the neck and shoulders, so to be expected I suppose - it's a b*gger having arthritis and getting old !!

Anyway, continuing, with a fast pass by the "Don Blakeslee" Mustang, the Buchons taxiing out and a couple of their passes, whilst the Bearcat and Corsairs take off in a shimmering heat haze thown up from the runway.
As the naval fighters departed to the south of the field to form up, we were treated to a very different arrival, with a single pass and smoky climb-out from a Boeing 727, converted for use in marine oil spillage control. An unusual and welcome distraction, and the first time I've seen a '727 for around 35 years.

More to come tomorrow ..................

From the roar and whistle of the Corsairs and Bearcat, to the snarl of a "Super Stearman", and a wing-walking act featuring Danielle Del Buono, with the candy-striped Stearman flown by her husband, Emiliano.
I've seen a lot of wing-walking performances over the years, where normally an attractive lady is strapped to a support on the upper wing, whilst the aircraft does some aerobatics, but this one was mad !
The aircraft took off with Danielle in the front cockpit, and then she proceeded to clamber out, and climb all over the wings, adopting varying positions during frequent passes, including hanging upside down from the lower, port wing, whilst her husband threw the Stearman around the sky in a series of "sillybatics" !
She finally clambered back into the front cockpit for the landing, smiling and waving to the crowd who gave her a standing ovation.
I was impressed !

Like that a lot. Just a good dose of 1920 barn storming.
Although coming home to commander in chief would raise questions... a pink aeroplane you say... with a woman doing wing walking and aerobics.... sure you did. Went to the nudy bar didnt you...

Users who are viewing this thread