Sywell 2024

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks chaps.

The next two posts cover the Spitfire display, with a total of nine airborne for the formation passes, and the tail-chase.
The two Griffon- engined FR.XIVs were the ones I particularly wanted to see; the "low back" has recently been re-painted in immediate post war SEAC colours, having previously been in temperate camouflage, and marked to represent Johhny Johnson's late war "JE-J", whilst the "high back" is new to the UK air show circuit, and this was the first time I'd seen it.

Although the Red Arrows were due to close the show around 15 minutes after the Spitfire displays, we decided to depart before their slot, in order to save some time getting out and on our way for the long drive back to Norfolk (we were, of course, gagging for a cool beer or six after the heat of the day !!) and, as I'd seen the "Reds" many, many times during their 60 year history, I didn't mind missing them this time around.
Therefore the Spits were the warbird finale for us, and the sight and sound of the formation, and especially the tail-chase, was absolutely fantastic to experience.
I was getting rather tired and stiff by this time, having manipulated the cameras all day (and this shows in the less than perfect shots), so I only took a few representative shots, to give at least some impression of the action, particularly the frenzy of the tail chase. (see Karl's short video at the beginning of this thread.)

The first selection is some general shots, with the main action in the following post.

Users who are viewing this thread