lingo,
First, I apologize for my unwarranted condescension. Sorry...
No need for apologies Butters. You are not debating with one of the planets scientists, only a superannuated airman.
That the US govt has somehow managed to sweep the world clean of widely disseminated scientific papers is a little too much for me to swallow.
I didn't claim it was the work of the US Government! (Although I have heard it said.....)
A quick Google search (electrogravitics cambridge) brought up all kinds of sites, scientific and otherwise. Here's a link to one I took a look at:
http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/archivos_pdf/electrogravitics_systems.pdf
True I'm sure, but the fact remains that researchers claim certain (don't know how many) papers have 'disappeared'. I neither know how nor why but I find this disturbing. ( Is this how conspiracy theories come into being?)
Of all the fundamental forces, gravity is the most mysterious, and altho Einstein's GR gives an astonishingly accurate account of what gravity DOES(At least until you reach the quantum scale), neither he nor anyone else understands what it IS. And until there exists a coherent, experimentally confirmed theory of quantum gravity, it is unlikely that any technologically practical form of anti-gravity will be devised. By anyone...
That is a fair summation. However, people do blunder into discoveries. Sometimes there is a solution to a problem we didn't know we had(!)
However, the technical requirements of an extremely long-range, high-capacity a/c , ie: the B-2- do not include some sort of super-secret 'Area 51'l anti-gravity device What you need is a very efficient low-drag/high lift airframe with room for a whole lotta fuel, and powerful, fuel efficient engines. And while this may be very technologically challenging to achieve in the real world, it does not demand an extraordinary breakthrough in fundamental physics.
I can't disagree with anything in that paragraph. Having only read and heard nonsense from the Area 51 conspiracy crowd I find their 'extraterrestrial' claims to be rather less than convincing.
My original post was: As we are now discussing the B-2 Spirit has anyone heard of the possible employment of electro-gravitics in this aircraft? Some years ago a distinguished physicist speculated the power of the installed engines were inadequate to meet the enormous range claimed for the type without it.
As you will see I did not claim electrogravitics were employed, merely mentioning a renowned American physicists speculation and wondering if any of our eclectic membership had also read that.