Tamiya 1/48 Fairey Swordfish Mk. II

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Good stuff.
If you're happy with the thinning ratio for your airbrush, trying re-setting the needle (which may need cleaning, along with the jet and venturi, if 'spitting' persists).
Unscrew the rear barrel, to expose the needle and clutch locking nut. Loosen the nut, and draw the needle back a little, gently, and then push fully home and re-lock the nut. Spray some neat thinners, which should now spray freely. If the paint continues to 'spit' after this, it either needs more thinners, or the jet etc needs to be cleaned.
Certain colours have fairly heavy pigment - black, white, red being typical - and can build-up inside the jet and nozzle venturi without being immediately apparent, especially acrylics, more than enamels, and also on the needle, Draw the needle between finger and thumb - carefully and slowly - if it does not move freely and feel 'smooth', then it needs cleaning, even if paint can't be seen on the surface.
Sounds a little OTT, but it's surprising how tiny amounts of dried paint or pigment can affect the spray pattern, bearing in mind the tiny aperture it has to pass through.

Some fiddle painting coming up but looks like you have a handle on it.
Me, handling the airbrush, sometimes looks like a typical cartoon handling a water hose.
I blame me, of course, but that's a cheap chinese airbrush, and the compressor heats up, so I was stressing out while spraying. I'll get a better airbrush after a couple more kits.
Good stuff.
If you're happy with the thinning ratio for your airbrush, trying re-setting the needle (which may need cleaning, along with the jet and venturi, if 'spitting' persists).
Unscrew the rear barrel, to expose the needle and clutch locking nut. Loosen the nut, and draw the needle back a little, gently, and then push fully home and re-lock the nut. Spray some neat thinners, which should now spray freely. If the paint continues to 'spit' after this, it either needs more thinners, or the jet etc needs to be cleaned.
Certain colours have fairly heavy pigment - black, white, red being typical - and can build-up inside the jet and nozzle venturi without being immediately apparent, especially acrylics, more than enamels, and also on the needle, Draw the needle between finger and thumb - carefully and slowly - if it does not move freely and feel 'smooth', then it needs cleaning, even if paint can't be seen on the surface.
Sounds a little OTT, but it's surprising how tiny amounts of dried paint or pigment can affect the spray pattern, bearing in mind the tiny aperture it has to pass through.
I filled up the cup with quite a lot of XF-2 white,thinned around 25%/75%. In the beginning, I wasn't getting any paint out, then I got myst. In the middle of my job, I was getting nice lines, but they wouldn't last for long, as then paint will stop flowing. Surprisingly, in the end, I was getting mostly splatters, but that's probably because I was too close, wanting those lines to come back.

I will take your advice in consideration, and try to reset the needle position. Note that, after daily airbrush jobs, I clean the airbrush and polish the needle with compound, so it becomes smoother with time.

Either way, the final coat, I reckon, will be I would say XF-2 White and X-20A thinner 1:2, maybe 1:3, and I want to spray close, so I can be sure that I will apply thin layers, will not ruin the shades, and I can still amend some of the patterns.

Well, there is always a first for everything, so let's see how it will turn out. thank you

I don't use acrylics very often, but when I do, I thin at 50/50, sometimes 40 % paint to 60% thinners, depending on the colour and the requirements, and do the same with enamels, which i use 98% of the time.
White can be a pain to spray, and I normally thin more, and apply two to four thin coats to build up the depth.
From your description, it sounds like the paint needs to be thinned more.
BTW, I've been using a couple of 'cheap' airbrushes for some time, and although they may need a little more adjustment now and then, they work just as well as the more expensive airbrush i used to use some years ago.

Mike, dust out your Swordfish and let's finish it. I believe you still haven't completed it nor thrown it away, correct?

Incorrect, but thanks for the invitation :). I found I had too many problems trying to attach the wings to an already problematic fuselage. All my fault. The first attempt is now history.

I'm just happy to watch another thread on the building of this kit. I have another of the same kit and, when I feel up to it, will attempt a second build with yours and Andy's threads as my guides.

Hi guys,

Sorry for the lack of news. Laying white coats needs time, and that's why I needed to wait for holidays and weekends.

It was painful to see a newly applied white layer not looking good at all. I applied around 7, I believe, until I finally was happy with the white color. I guess that's what you get when painting white over black... at least I managed to get those nice shades in the fuselage panels.

FoaV5gPl.jpg

Camouflage was a way more gratifying experience.

hRMZtgel.jpg

Here is the video of my build. Any comments are more than welcome. Thanks for everything.

Hi guys.

I am really sorry for the long waiting period.

Here it is, part 4.

good stuff: I really like the way the engine cowl looks, the paint mix is great.
I also liked the panel line oily look for weathering.

Bad stuff: I really hate Tamiya decals. Also, I have a ton of dust stuck in paint and coats, really hate it.

She is looking good again not a big fan of videos but I can watch yours start to finish.I think it's the tempo and music.:thumbright:

She is looking good again not a big fan of videos but I can watch yours start to finish.I think it's the tempo and music.:thumbright:
I am kind of tired of those musics, maybe because of the vide editing, I will use other songs in the next kit.
But yes, I am trying to not be boring and doing 10 min pieces that are worth of anyone's time.
As all, any suggestions are welcome.
Thanks man.

I am kind of tired of those musics, maybe because of the vide editing, I will use other songs in the next kit.
But yes, I am trying to not be boring and doing 10 min pieces that are worth of anyone's time.
As all, any suggestions are welcome.
Thanks man.
Well it works for now atleast for me ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back