Tamiya 1/72 Spitfire I (looks odd)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ok they are DW*O is from 601 Squadron, and QJ*B from 92 Sq.

Yes, it looks like the outbreak of the 1939/1940 was the time when more and more Mk.Is got the MGs without the nozzles.. While the earier planes retained the nozzles attached.
Believing the caption the pic is dated on July 1940. The no.65 Squadron just got the brand new kites. No nozzles can be found in the image.

IWM CH 594.jpg

the source: Better Propellers for "The Few": Desmond Cooke's Legacy in the Battle of Britain

Like most upgrades I suppose it took a while to get around to all aircraft.. Actually I should find out what squadron the Tamiya kit decals cover. Then some BOB photos of that squadron should shed more light.
Looks like the Airfix MkIa has same sq decals.... but no protruding muzzles.
1668945634835.png

IMHO the nozzles were removed.

View attachment 695291
Yep can't see muzzle poking out here... So unless the muzzles were removed in the 2 weeks prior to this photo, DW-O had 8 patches during BOB. (Although hard to see patches in photo) So if I want BOB setting will have to remove muzzles from Tamiya kit. After looking more closer at the Airfix kit, I'm not keen on those huge panel grooves...makes it look like a diecast model. Thanks Wojtek

My pleasure.

Also two link that can come in handy,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back