technical drawings

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

WHAT!?! You don't even have a Naval Air Arm?! No Navy helicopters or anything!?

Woah, even Brasil has one of those!

Actually, there's a chance we have two, but I think the first has been decommissioned...

Anyway, it was bought from the French, but I'd say their technology (especially nuclear - something like over 75% of their electrical energy is nuclear powered; if that's not efficient, I don't know what it!) is still rather fair...

Whaddya know, the first one is ex-English! (Though it was indeed deactivated, in 2002)

Okay, the one we have now is not nuclear, as I recently discovered, but was formerly Foch...

Foch was originally a French carrier.

Canada's last carrier was HMCS Bonaventure. It was originally laid down as a British fleet carrier that was never completed. Along comes Canada, and we buy it. It's then completed and commissioned into the RCN as the "Bonnie", equipped with second hand USN F2-H Banshee fighters. (In the finest Canadian tradition, of course. ](*,) )

In any event, that was our last fling with aircraft carriers. Just when we were getting good at it. *sigh* :(

GermansRGeniuses said:
Woah, even Brasil has one of those!

Actually, there's a chance we have two, but I think the first has been decommissioned...

Anyway, it was bought from the French, but I'd say their technology (especially nuclear - something like over 75% of their electrical energy is nuclear powered; if that's not efficient, I don't know what it!) is still rather fair...

Whaddya know, the first one is ex-English! (Though it was indeed deactivated, in 2002)

Okay, the one we have now is not nuclear, as I recently discovered, but was formerly Foch...

"Foch was a French carrier. "

;)

Britain was getting pretty good with fleet carriers in the 50s and 60s, but the Navy was the first to feel the cut backs of the 70s and 80s so now it's pretty small.

:lol:

admitily our carriers are small and we only have three of them (HMS Ocean IS NOT an aircraft carrier despite her apperance as one, she is in fact an anphibious assult ship) but the ones were have aren't bad, but you have to remember they were built around the harrier so they didn't have to be big, and we're getting some bigger ones in 2012 i believe..................

I think we have four, lanc...not including the HMS Ocean..thingy...and yes the Royal Navy is getting a major over-haul in 2012.

no we have 3 aircraft carriers and HMS Ocean, which looks like an aircraft carrier but isn't............

HMS Invincible
HMS Illustrious
HMS Ark Royal

How is that then, CC. Bigger = Bigger target, bigger crew, more people to die when it gets hit. Royal Navy Carriers don't need to be big, we have the Harrier.

"You Brits gave us the angled deck, the mirror sight and the steam catapult. And now you've taken it all away!" Some crazy Yank admiral when watching a Harrier take off from his ship.

Well, the US carriers can and do operate rather large air wings, consisting of the whole range of aircraft types: fighters/attack planes, AWACS, ASW, ECM, tankers, utility, helicopters.

Size in this case means versatility and a lot of power! From what I understand, Britain's new carriers are supposedly going to follow more or less the same philosophy, albeit scaled down somewhat.

Hate to say it, but if we'd had a big carrier during the Falklands we could have many more planes in the air, and would have made mincemeat of the Argentinian air force. Nothing would have got through to attack the task force. I'm not saying the FAA didn't do a fantastic job as it was, but we probably wouldn't have lost a single ship with greater air power. It's the same old story of governments wanting to cut corners and then bitterly regretting it when they have to write those letters to the widows of H.M.S Sheffield and the other ships which were sunk or hit.

Proposed designs for the future HMS Queen Elizabeth and HMS Prince of Wales. (Perhaps the first design?)

rncar31ed.jpg

rncar49bi.jpg

To be equipped primarily with this bad boy!

jsf12lk.jpg
jsf33gh.jpg

but there is a varient of the harrier, the Mk.7 that is also a joint development as the americans wanted it as well, can't say i blame them.............

Users who are viewing this thread

Back