technical drawings

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I don't think a larger air arm in the Falklands would have saved the ships. They were prone to get hit, and they knew it. The problem was that our AA were actually hitting the Argie Jets, and not bringing them down.
The Rapiers the Rockapes had were crap, beyond belief. You'd see it hit the aircraft, and it wouldn't go down.

The FAA did slaughter the Argies anyway. I saw a programme on it, after the first day the Harriers shot down 9 without a single loss. And the Argies thought better of all out attacks.

Mk. 7 Harrier? Are you talking about the Gr.7 (The most advanced Harrier in the world)? Yes, the F-35 JSF is going to be a hell of a plane, the engine is going to be joint GE/RR and the actual plane design is yank/Brit development...FINALLY..two of the worlds greatest allies in history finally come together. ABOUT bloody time

well our harriers shot down 24 argentine aircraft and none of ours were lost in air-air combat, two were lost in an accident in the fog and a few to ground fire, and no, a larger air arm would not have stopped the ships getting sunk.........

and the harrier totally outclassed the argentine gets, primarily down to a manouver called "viffing" (i shall explain if you wish), the harrier being the only combat jet in service able to do that move, even the JSF would have trouble doing it at the speeds the harrier did...........

don't apologise............

viffing comes from the term "VIFF" or Vectoring In Forward Flight. When in forward flight the harrier's nozzles point backwards, however if the harrier gets a boggie on his tail, all the harrier pilot has to do is to turn, or vector, his nozzles down (this is extremely simple, they're all controlled by one lever) and the thrust will be directed downwards, just like when it hovers which is what in effect it's doing now. The attacking fighter pilot will not be expecting this, and has no choise but to carry on in forward flight. now the attacking fighter is in front of the harrier, if the harrier pilot puts the nozzles back he can carry on flying forward and he will now be on the tail of the boggie, i hope that explains it and ask if you're not sure about anything.................

hehe, it is really but the harrier is the only plane that can do it, and because of the way the JSF goes into hover that would struggle to do it to, and if you can do it, why not??

There were three Sea Harriers (Gr.5 equals) lost in the whole Falklands war, two to AA and one to accident. And they don't do that manuvre often because it makes landing EXTREMELY dangerous. The Harrier only has 90 seconds hover time because the water for cooling the vents runs out, and it overheats.

TALKING of over-heating. If anyone can tell me how the Lightning was cooled, I'll give them a cookie.

cheddar cheese said:
Well I can get onto the site but as I dont speak Russian and dont know what to click on :lol:

Just gimme the damn cookie anyway pD ;)

I don't either but experimental 'clicking', and waiting because it is so slow, I found that the 2cd from the left, on top, gets you to the plans. ;)

I should add that if I go through a link, to a specific drawing, that someone supplies, there is no problem downloading.

It's fuel cooling, CC. And no, screw you. I ate the cookie long ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back