The Airbus 330 - Possibility of Electrical/Computer Problems

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I do not profess to be an avionics expert but the field in which I work uses simlar techknowledgy the impression the artical gives is that a (singular) computer controls the aircraft systems as far as i am aware it is multiple computers each carrying independant programs, this software is not cloned but produce as seperate nodes each computer works in unison with two three or more units on a majority vote system, if say the aircraft requires to make a 10 degree turn, the controlling processors each calculate the amount of rudder, power etc required also if it is safe to do it, the results must match before the manouver is carried out should one disagree the majority vote wins and the minority processing module is shut down as it has made a mistake and the turn etc can be made, it sounds very dramatic but the chances of in a simple system (which I work in) of three computers using seperate software reaching a false conclusion at exactly the same moment run into millions to one, in an aircraft it must be much higher as a large number of processing modules are used.

I am sure one of our avionics guys will correct me if I am wrong but I also believe inputs to the systems are gleaned from more than one source Ie not just one pitot tube etc.

As with most newspaper articals they attempt to draw conclusions without all the facts its a good job somewhat more qualified people deal with enquires. My freind who has not long retired after 50 years in aviation was an expert witness for the CAA on several aircraft accident investigations including Kegworth said newspapers plant some very misleading information into judicial enguires minds and too much time is wasted by experts having to explain the misconceptions the general public and some non technical investigating enquires have.

so for all the articals, what may seem plausable info i prefer some more substantial facts fro some more qualified people

Small war story and I am not totally sure it's true but...

I used to own a 1998 Jaguar XK8 Ragtop. Pretty car BUT, it had the same problem with the Electronics. Every so often, the lights would just go out. Cruising along at 60Mph and everything went dark. More than once too. Somewhat disconcerting to go "Batmobile" on I-76 at 11pm on a Friday night. Anyway, lights out, back on in about 5-10 seconds.

My understanding is, and this is pure hearsay from someone I told the problem too, that the electronics in the Jag and the Airbus come from the same company.

Some of you guys in Europe might know better if it is true.

Is this a taboo subject? Or is there some politics involved, and there is really no problem?

Is this a taboo subject? Or is there some politics involved, and there is really no problem?

There is politics involved in the MoS report linked at the start of the thread. Editorially, the paper hates Europe, Europeans and anything that they make. They also hold (to some degree), Airbus responsible for the demise of the UK's civil avaiation industry - I won't go into this any further, or I will be talking pure politics.

On the other hand, there is clearly something wrong with the A330. I just wouldn't trust the Mail's coverage of the issues as far as I could throw it's editorial staff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back