The airplane that did the most to turn the tide of the war.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Resp:
Agreed. But I think Galland had a lot of respect on how the RAF used the Spitfire (and Hurricane) against them. I believe he had great respect for the pilots who flew them. I suppose some will think I am reading this into what Galland said, and you would be correct.

I did quote Wikipedia ranges for all the aircraft, which as I said were comparable - but I have books on the SBD and we could delve deeper into it. My point still stands. SBD was basically equivalent to the D3A (and vastly superior to the German, Italian, Russian or British single engined bombers) in combat range. But the SBD was armored, armed with HMG and had protected fuel systems.

If you read my post I did not assert the 2200 lb bomb load as typical for naval strikes, from reading through a mission history recently for naval strikes it was typically a single 500 or 1000 lb bomb, sometimes two small wing bombs if it was at shorter range. 1,000 lb was most typical for anti-shipping strikes. If they had to hit a very far away target they might carry a smaller (500 lb bomb load). The heavier (2,200 lb) bomb load would be against ground targets at close range, like when the Cactus Air Force planes were hitting targets less than a mile away on Guadalcanal.

Last edited:

No I am saying you are pretty much correct. Galland was upset about how things were being used and done.

Calm down Nancy...

Of course Galland did. I think all pilots felt the same about their adversary's, but that still doesn't change the context of hos words, and how they are misused.

I like most of what you said, but you still need a torpedo bomber to disable the Bismarck and battleships to destroy it. Bombs from an SBD would simply have bounced off it. You omit the fact that both the Swordfish and Albacore could both dive bomb, the Swordfish being the better torpedo bomber. The Albacore was used in the Sahara as a bomber and I don't recall them enduring the same crippling losses as the Battle even though it was 100 mph slower.

Dauntlesses seem to have been able to sink quite a few heavy cruisers and aircraft carriers (some converted battleships). I know it was a tough boat but I'm not sure I buy that the Bismarck was immune to bombs, or that a 1000 lb armor piercing bomb is going to "bounce off" off of a battleship. I'm sure it would be harder to sink with bombs than torpedoes, every large ship was, but I think you'd still be better off with SBD's than Swordfish due to range and speed.

Maybe that's another thread idea: Could you sink the Bismarck with bombs?

As for dive bombing, I had read that the Swordfish and Albacore were designed to dive bomb and did so in tests, but didn't know quite what to make of that. How 'real' is that capability? Did they ever sink any ships that way?

I read the Wiki on the Albacore and it sounds like it didn't actually hit let alone sink many (if any) enemy ships with either torpedoes or bombs, do you know of any?

The Swordfish certainly did some damage at Taranto and did eventually jam the rudder of the Bismarck, other than that it seems like they were mostly used against submarines. I'd hate to see one trying to contend with an A6M or a Ki-43!

S

The bombs will not bounce off, but getting them into the ship where vital systems are located is quite different. The 50mm deck might not stop even a 500lb bomb but it will trigger the fuse and the 20/30mm deck below may catch most of the splinters. A 1000lb bomb might not make it through the main deck armor (main deck being the 80mm deck right over the turbine rooms, not the top deck the crew would walk on outside.

Quite a bit of damage could be done by 250=500lb GP bombs but not flooding or sinking the ship without a huge number of hits.

IIRC, the Albacore:-

1. Could detect surface vessels with radar. Had a good range.
2. Was a lousy torpedo bomber. They missed the Tirpitz.
3. Okay for night attacks on invasion barges in 1940.
4. Used for close support including dive bombing in Operation Torch.
5. Did good work in the Western Desert at night in bombing raids.

I think this is the source of confusion. There is a big difference between this

and this*

An armor piercing bomb coming down nose first and have an armored shell. They did punch through the armored decks of many ships and by simply detonating immediately destroyed turrets. Quite often just a few AP bomb hits were enough to sink fairly heavy warships. Consider for example the HMS Dorsetshire heavy cruiser sunk by D3A 'Val" dive bombers in the Indian Ocean. It was hit with eight 250 and 550 lb bombs and sank ten minutes later.

Like I said, a 1,000 AP bomb as carried by the SBD while not quite as formidable as a torpedo, can wreak a great deal of havoc. An unlike a torpedo doesn't have to contend with the main armor of a battleship ( the belts). The dive bomber will also hit with far more precision than any level bombs.

*I know that's from a video game it's the most accurate image I could google.

S

Users who are viewing this thread