The airplane that did the most to turn the tide of the war.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

American torpedos were horrible in the first year or two, but we were talking about aircraft. I think over the course of the war, the TBF (which I also don't particularly like as a design) did a lot more damage than the Swordfish.
We will just let the Bismarck float around doing nothing in particular with the Italian fleet until you get your TBF/TBMs and their torpedos sorted then.

Yes, P-36 was also built in halves as it should, P-40 being in essence a liquid engined follow-up version of P-36. The 21 pages sales brochure of H-75A also mentioned that.

Thanks. I have not seen that brochure but I do have a 24 page one that I now see says the same on page 11. It may be that your brochure is the same one but missing pages or it may be a totally different one.

Mine has this cover and I will post it if you want.
1571450040145.png

Just to be difficult, I'd have to go with the Martin NBS-1, used by Billy Mitchell to demonstrate that airplanes could sink ships.

I'd really like to see some kind of confirmation or evidence that the Swordfish sunk the most tonnage of enemy shipping, I find that very unlikely but I'm ready to be surprised.

For the second part, I agree in principle that it probably makes the most sense to pick a half dozen or so "most important" aircraft for different Theaters.

Fairey Swordfish - Wikipedia "By the end of the war, the Swordfish held the distinction of having caused the destruction of a greater tonnage of Axis shipping than any other Allied aircraft."

https://www.historyhit.com/facts-fairey-swordfish/

Fairey Swordfish

Fairey Swordfish

https://www.militaryfactory.com/aircraft/detail.asp?aircraft_id=571

Last edited:
We will just let the Bismarck float around doing nothing in particular with the Italian fleet until you get your TBF/TBMs and their torpedos sorted then.

Actually the early torpedoes worked so I could just send a few squadrons of Devastators to do the job properly and actually sink it instead f just jamming the prop ;)

Fairey Swordfish - Wikipedia "By the end of the war, the Swordfish held the distinction of having caused the destruction of a greater tonnage of Axis shipping than any other Allied aircraft."

10 Facts About the Fairey Swordfish

Fairey Swordfish

Fairey Swordfish

I saw the Wikipedia quote I just don't think that's true. There is a lot of daffy stuff on Wikipedia. I'd like to see a side by side comparison with the real heavy hitters like the SBD and TBF. I googled it a little bit today ... and there are a bunch of sites which say the same thing about the SBD for example:

Douglas SBD Dauntless (Dive Bomber) | Pearl Harbor Museum

"In total, the Dauntless sank more enemy shipping than any other Allied bomber. "

National WW II museum says more or less the same thing

"By some accounts, the Dauntless sank more Japanese ships than any other plane. "

"Slow But Deadly" - Douglas SBD Dauntless Dive-bomber with 26 Photos

One site says 300,000 tons, another mentions "six Japanese carriers, fourteen cruisers, six destroyers, fifteen freighters "

From another thread on here - total sorties:

nacs-page-97-jpg.jpg

Some info on tonnage sunk

janac-table-2-jpg.jpg

Looks like over 2 million tons by USN carrier aircraft which would break down mostly to three types - SBD, TBF / TBM and SB2C. Some by fighters of course, and a few from the old Devastator at Coral Sea and maybe a few more by Vindicators. But it looks like that 300,000 tons for the SBD is plausible.

As for the TBF, History of War.org credits the Avenger with "being involved in the sinking of" 11 battleships, 19 cruisers, and 25 destroyers.

Helldiver is once again given credit for sinking the greatest amount of enemy tonnage of every Allied bomber on several sites like this one and this one

...though I take that with a grain of salt.

I think we need to see hard numbers.

Last edited:
I hope not!! I just think in terms of sheer tonnage, I think thems the facts brah. If you can show me that Swordfish sank more tonnage of enemy ships than an SBD I'll be a very impressed individual. Even besting the TBF would be pretty impressive.
Since when is the definition of "turning the tide" defined in terms of tonnage, and since when is the PTO THE decisive arena? If you want to talk tonnage in the overall effort, you can't ignore Bomber Command and the Lanc, and the day the TBF first (ineffectively) saw combat the tide was already starting to turn in PTO. By the time they saw combat in any numbers, the initiative had already changed hands.
For the early years the go to ship-sinker was the SBD
By the time SBD saw combat in any numbers, the "early years" were already over. The war was almost three years on.
But I'll go beyond that a step - when it comes to naval and coastal aircraft I think the US had the lead.
Not to knock the Catalina, the Mariner, or the Seagull, but here the B24 was huge. Much as its reputation tends toward "not the greatest aircraft", the Liberator's multi faceted contribution to the overall effort stands out in many ways that were decisive. The Lib's exploits with Coastal Command in the Uboat war and with the USN in the PTO as a super long range strike aircraft tend to go unnoticed by historians of land warfare. Low level dawn attacks by Privateers on Japanese bases "outside the combat zone" accounted for huge attrition losses in ships and aircraft.
Cheers,
Wes

I saw the Wikipedia quote I just don't think that's true. There is a lot of daffy stuff on Wikipedia. I'd like to see a side by side comparison with the real heavy hitters like the SBD and TBF

Don't forget the Swordfish was in action from the start of WW2 in 1939 up to the end in 1945, it had a two year head start on the SBD and TBF who did not get into action until 1942 when the US joined in. The Swordfish had already a head start at Taranto and Matapan and numerous action in the Battle of the Atlantic.

I'll also go out on a limb and say that despite it's many fans, and it's success at Taranto, I don't think the Swordfish was a very good aircraft, sorry. Nor the Albacore for that matter. Both would have been more suitable for a war in the mid-30s.
I dunno. I kinda think just the fact that they were still pretty successful way past there" best by" date shows the were good designs. Long in the tooth by 42 maybe but still good designs. Imho.

Since when is the definition of "turning the tide" defined in terms of tonnage, and since when is the PTO THE decisive arena? If you want to talk tonnage in the overall effort, you can't ignore Bomber Command and the Lanc, and the day the TBF first (ineffectively) saw combat the tide was already starting to turn in PTO. By the time they saw combat in any numbers, the initiative had already changed hands.

Tonnage isn't the only criteria, I was responding to the claim that the Swordfish sunk more than any other type. I would say that the SBD, TBF and SB2C also sunk more capital ships and won more crucial WW2 battles than any other naval bomber too (including the Swordfish).

I disagree - the tipping point was from late 1942 through mid 1943. The TBF was involved in the mid-war.

I would say for naval combat the PTO was indeed the decisive arena because naval warfare took place there on a far larger scale than in the North Atlantic, the Med, or anywhere else, objectively, and it's also a categorical fact that the Japanese had by far the largest, most dangerous and most effective navy on the Axis side. Nobody else came close. If the Americans hadn't stopped them they certainly would have caused major problems for the British in and around India. They were nudging in that direction anyway.

By the time SBD saw combat in any numbers, the "early years" were already over. The war was almost three years on.

Until the Japanese carriers were sunk the naval war in WW2 was in it's early stages.

Not to knock the Catalina, the Mariner, or the Seagull, but here the B24 was huge. Much as its reputation tends toward "not the greatest aircraft", the Liberator's multi faceted contribution to the overall effort stands out in many ways that were decisive. The Lib's exploits with Coastal Command in the Uboat war and with the USN in the PTO as a super long range strike aircraft tend to go unnoticed by historians of land warfare. Low level dawn attacks by Privateers on Japanese bases "outside the combat zone" accounted for huge attrition losses in ships and aircraft.
Cheers,
Wes

I agree - the Liberators got my nomination earlier in this very thread (I think) as well as one or two others as one of the most important aircraft in it's particular category.

I found a source with a bit more hard numbers.

https://www.history.navy.mil/resear...nese-naval-merchant-shipping-losses-wwii.html

Last edited:
American torpedos were horrible in the first year or two, but we were talking about aircraft. I think over the course of the war, the TBF (which I also don't particularly like as a design) did a lot more damage than the Swordfish.
You know what would be a really interesting comparison is whether the TBF or Swardfish sank more tonnage not in total but per plane. I have no idea but that would be interesting to know.

Could it do anything that a TBF / TBM couldn't do?

It was doing it two years before the aircraft you mentioned had entered the war, the RN did not have TBFs or TBMs back then, neither did they have SBDs. I am sure the RN, and the crews, wished they had a better aircraft, but they had to go with what they had.... and it did better than they expected and for longer. It could carry almost anything they hung off it, radar, torpedoes, Leigh lights, bombs, rockets.... hence the name "Stringbag" it could carry anything.

Hello MiTasol, yes the same No. 6895-A, and fuselage info on page 11, the last page (21) ends with "Packing and Shipping",

I dunno. I kinda think just the fact that they were still pretty successful way past there" best by" date shows the were good designs. Long in the tooth by 42 maybe but still good designs. Imho.

That is a good point - I don't think there is anything wrong with a Swordfish when it was first introduced in 1936, at worst it was slightly obsolescent but a single-engined aircraft carrying a torpedo was always going to have some significant design challenges.* But by 1940 or 41 the FAA or Fairey or Blackburn or somebody should have come up with something better. The British were good at aircraft design you can't tell me they couldn't have made something better. The Barracuda came a little too late and never really did much.

During the war the best Allied carrier based naval strike aircraft were the SBD, TBF, SB2C (for all it's faults)

To me the best carrier based torpedo bombers that saw action were the later war Japanese ones which never got to fly in any numbers like the Aichi B7A

I think the best torpedo bombers which actually fought in the critical early and middle years of the war were land based twin or three engined aircraft like the G3M and G4M, the Beaufighter and Beaufort, the A-20, the SM 79, the Ju 88 and so on.

S

* and I don't think the Allies really had any really good carrier based torpedo bombers until well past the tipping point of the war (and past the heyday of propeller engined aircraft or torpedo bombers period). Some examples of those would include the seemingly excellent Blackburn Firebrand (promising and available early but they had to tinker with it too long to get it in service) and the Douglas BTD

I have not been able to find any figures comparing the two.
Ya that would be really interesting. Maybe this weekend if I have time I'll try to figure it out. Tonnage sunk should be the easy part of the equation but for the other half of the equation I'm wondering if I should use total of each type produced or maybe try to find the total of each type to deployed to combat units.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back