The Attack On The Liberty (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ccheese

Member In Perpetuity
Jul 10, 2007
Virginia Beach, Va.
This book, written by James Scott (a free-lance journalist) was a gift, I would not have bought the book. It's about the attack on the US spy-ship, USS Liberty (GTR5) by Israel in 1967. The Liberty was actually evesdropping on Egypt's communications, when she was attacked by Israel's PT boats and aircraft. Thirty four were killed and 171 injured in what Israel claims was a mistake in identity.

Charles

Being the first time of me hearing about this happening in the past, I can wonder at the excuses used to pacify US opinion back then.

"Shalom sorry we didn't see you clearly, we assumed the flag was a deception by our enemies as we detected its ELINT emmissions and scanning systems - we naturally thought it was another countries boat..."
springs to mind, or
"...Opps, we got the wrong boat/intel..."
or behind closed doors...
"...oh you were only evesdropping on the them and not us as well, please forgive/forget this 'little' hiccup, and keep giving us 'gifts' and if possible, the intel from before we sank it..."

Last edited:
I've finished the book. What a US cover up ! Israel admitted attacking the Liberty, but thought the ship was an Egyptian ship (half the size of the Liberty) flying a US flag as a deception. Everyone was afraid of making Israel mad, so it was shoved under the rug. The CO of the Liberty was given the Medal of Honor to shut him up, too. Reparations were paid for the deaths and injuries, but Israel refused to pay for the damages to the USS Liberty .... and never did. The cost of repairing the Liberty was around $7M, so she was finally scrapped. It's a good book, and shows just what politicians will do to kiss someone's tail.

Eric: read the book !

Charles

Wow, first the history thread and now this thread on the USS Liberty. I was still in the Army in 1967 but well remember hearing reports of the Arab-Israeli War and Israel's stunning victory after being attacked by their Arab neighbors. I also recall reports of the "accidental" attack by Israel on the Liberty. It sounded pretty phony to me as the Egyptian "horse-carrier" the Israelis supposedly thought they were attacking looked nothing like the intelligence ship USS Liberty even to me. The survivors were showered with medals and awards but they refused to remain silent and their story slowly has surfaced.
1. LBJ and Robert McNamara had ordered the Inquiry Board to make a finding of "Accidental.
2. The lead Israeli pilot had radioed his headquarters that the ship was American. HQ then ordered him to continue the attack. He refused, returned to base and was arrested.
3. This radio traffic was picked up by the US Embassy in Lebanon and was heard by Ambassador Dwight Porter.
4. A US Navy EC-121 intelligence aircraft was overhead and had also electronically recorded the entire attack. Those records confirm the pilot's story
5. While the air attack quickly knocked out the Liberty's transmitting antennas a jury-rigged mast had been erected by the crew. The crew used this to transmit a distress call even though all of their frequencies were being jammed by the Israelis. This call was heard by the 6th Fleet 400 mi away in Crete. The carriers America and Saratoga launched fighters to assist. When Washington found out that planes had been launched Robert McNamara immediately ordered their recall.
6. The "accidental" attack continued with the arrival of Israeli PT boats who proceeded to launch torpedoes against the stricken ship and rake it with 30mm cannon.
The "accident" lasted almost two hours: 34 KIA – 174 WIA
The WHY of the attack was pretty simple - While Israel had claimed it acted in self defense AFTER an Arab attack USS Liberty intercepts showed just the opposite.
1. The Israeli's had launched a "Pearl Harbor" attack against three Arab countries destroying over 80% of their air force on the ground.
2. The Israelis wanted the Golan Heights controlled by Syria but Syria had remained inactive while Israel pounded three of its neighbors. The Israeli attack on Syria was postponed until the Liberty had been knocked out. The Israelis then attacked Syria
3. With the Liberty gone there would be no intercepts to prove that Israeli had attacked first.

I complained to a old sergeant once about no GI Bill after Vietnam. He laughed and said "Son, the Government has always treated its soldiers like "rubbers". Use 'em and discard 'em.

AND sailed it all the way to Malta
1. The 40ft torpedo hole from the Israeli PT boats.
2. One look at the Liberty and the Egyptian horse carrier and you can see that they are almost identical. One can easily see how the Israeli pilots mistook one for the other.
3. 34 of the crew depart the Liberty

Attachments

• flagthalfmast.gif
    flagthalfmast.gif
    13.3 KB · Views: 145
  • lg0031.jpg
    lg0031.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 135
  • liberty_torpedo_hole.jpg
    liberty_torpedo_hole.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 137
  • liberty1.jpg
    liberty1.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 121
  • liberty_bodies.jpg
    liberty_bodies.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 133
Truly, a beastly event! I read years ago that the Israeli attacked knowingly the Liberty since the very highest echelons of the political and military class suspected the ship was spying on them.

For those interested in unusual facts (regarding our Middle East ally), here's another title:
Amazon product ASIN B0089DJ03I
View: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0089DJ03I/View: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0089DJ03I/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_img?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1GO33DZPVM4FB&coliid=IFS2N2YTEFBV8

Sir P.

P.S.: another source (possibly not to everyone liking - I pre-apologize for any blackguardism from yours truly) for the incisive details regarding the stated topic (ref: Philip Tourney):

PHILIP TOURNEY: TWO McCAINS, LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON | Veterans Today

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back