The Azarakhsh, Iran's first domestically manufactured combat aircraft.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Good Vid -

It's nothing more than a souped-up F-5 with a V tail, that video confirms it. Same nose, landing gear, speed brakes, the "boat-tail" (where the engine sits) is also the same. The F-5's engine bay is small so nothing bigger than a J-85 is going to fit in there. the only place i could see an improvement is in the cockpit and radar, and even there space is limited. If they build 100 of these I give them credit, the F-5 is a great aircraft if you're economically and technically strapped. It will compete to a point with modern fighters but still a generation behind....

from Federation of American Scientists

There are also reports of the development of another indigenous fighter design called the Owj (Zenith). Iran's Defense Industries Organization has announced plans for the production of the propeller-driven Parastu (Swallow) and jet-powered Dorna (Lark) training aircraft, and there are also claims of the testing of the first Iranian-designed helicopter. In April 1997 Acting Commander of the Ground Forces of the Iranian Army, Lieutenant General Mohammad Reza Ashtiani announced that the design and construction of helicopters has started and will bear results in the ground forces five-year plan. General Ashtiani also claimed that 14,000 various kinds of aircraft parts have been produced by the forces, with some of the parts manufactured at costs one thousandths of similar foreign made parts. He stated that Iran had saved the equivalent of 30 billion rials in hard currency. In the Iranian budget year which started on March 21, he disclosed that the aviation wing of the army intended to produce 90 percent of its spare parts requirement.

----------------

Yup, some raghead village blacksmith hand beating turbine blades will save shed loads of cash. :lol:

k9kiwi said:
General Ashtiani also claimed that 14,000 various kinds of aircraft parts have been produced by the forces, with some of the parts manufactured at costs one thousandths of similar foreign made parts.
Amazing what slave labor could do...

None of these aircraft will help them. They are all generations behind as FBJ said.

This Azarakhsh which we all know is just a modified F-5 may be good against three neihboring countries but against real technology such as the F-22, F-15, F-16 and the Typhoon it does not stand a chance.

Of course it doesn't match up. But it certainly puts them ahead of those countries without an air force.

Don't we still use F-5 for training as enemy air craft? If that is true do they really think their new toy makes them that much tougher and to hold their own that much longer?

Something about the Iranians even modifying or upgrading an f5 is that it gets their feet wet in aircraft designing and development learning more about materials and systems is a huge technical leap in so many facets.
I wonder what the next one thats on the board looks like?

Yeap they have jumped there technical know how from stone age to WW1 level aircraft design. Pretty good jump if you ask me....

:lol:

Azarakhsh.jpg

I saw something where the marines are still operating F-5s.

FBJ where did you see this? We have squadrons of AV-8Bs and 18s, but that's it - I haven't heard of Marine F-5s. I think the navy might still have a squadron of F-5s maybe even based at NAS Key West that they use as aggressors... not positive though. Maybe the marines have some that they use as aggressors too though.

FBJ where did you see this? We have squadrons of AV-8Bs and 18s, but that's it - I haven't heard of Marine F-5s. I think the navy might still have a squadron of F-5s maybe even based at NAS Key West that they use as aggressors... not positive though. Maybe the marines have some that they use as aggressors too though.
That's what I assumed when I read this article - I'll look around and see if I could find it...

I also think they have a few at Mirmar to simulate fight a Foxbat I believe. Not 100% sure on that though. I could be wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back