The B-17s' Last Military Mission?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I thought you'd all like to know that a painting by Keith Woodcock of the Skyhook B-17 was unveiled at the CIA of this mission and all participants received awards. My father Capt. Seigrist received his second Agency Seal Medallion for his work as Captain of the B-17 on this mission.

Incidentally this technology made it into the new Batman Movie and was given a 15 second clip where a C-130 Skyhook picks up Batman from the top of a building in Hong Kong.

The painting is now hanging prominently at HQ in VA. Here you can see the painting and a brief on the mission:

https://www.cia.gov/library/center-...es/vol52no2/iac/seven-days-in-the-arctic.html

painting-coldfeet-web.jpg

Thought you would appreciate this!

:!:

Good Day All.
I am writing this for Captain Leonard LeSchack, who is alive and well and views this site. He was interested of course in Flyboys comments about the B17 and mention of his Project Coldfeet. Just being released is a documentary that includes this mission called Behind Enemy Lines. The History Channel in Germany picked it up, and it has just been sold to National Geographic US for their Spy Series.
You have an excellent and informative Website, quite the pleasure to read all of your posts.
Best Wishes
SusanL.

very cool...

I'd like to see the plane... I wonder what the markings and color scheme were? Was the bomb bay converted into a huge gas tank?

Where is that plane now?... It was probably putting out forest fires the next year.

oops... I posted but didnt see the comments by alieneggsac... thanks!

Captain Leonard LeSchack
:salute:

Last edited:
Yes they had been experimenting, first was a system called the All American System. It didn't work that well. They found that it ripped men's guts out literally, at 9G's.:cry:
There were a few accidents in the early stages of the Fulton system as well. Accidents were largely attributed to mechanical disasters with the winch systems (lines broke). When Captain LeSchack was picked up off the Russian ice Station this was the first military operational use of the Skyhook. The documentary that has just come out, has actual footage, and some re-enactments of the pick up. It was produced by ZDF, Here is a short clip of that with Len speaking he was compared to James Bond.

ZDF Enterprises - Program Sales - International Catalogue - Documentaries - Behind Enemy Lines (Hinter feindlichen Linien )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back