The Best Biplane Fighter of WW2

Best Biplane Fighter of WW2?

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The Avia 534 should be mentioned as a contender, although the CR 42 still would have the edge.

It was strange that the Italians continued to develop the biplane at so late a date. It would be like Ford Motor Co. building the Pinto in 2006...the ultimate Pinto, no doubt, but why?

From the late 30s era, you also would have to take a look at the Grumman F3F. True, it did not participate in WW2. However, the Al Williams Gulfhawk version had a top speed of 290 mph (no armor or armament, of course).

Gladiator- Faith, Hope and Charity kept the Italian bombers at Malta a hard time, modern bombers being shot down by obsolescent biplanes

This too is my reason, in a strange way I owe my existance as it is to those three little biplanes, my late grandfather was a young lad on the Island and used to watch the dogfights from the roof of his house, so had those little guys not been there my existance would be very different if it happend at all, theres food for thought.

I-153. An absolute bitch to handle, but if you knew how to handle her you could turn on a dime and at ground level, she was nearly as fast as a 109!

My father was in the Italian A.F. up to 1940, and then became a civilian test pilot. He repeated many times his appreciation of the CR-42, so I'll have to proxy his vote.

I-153 had a lower wing loading, better climb rate, and better power to weight ratio than the Cr.42. Speed was slower by about 15kph. Going on the power to weight ratio and the wing loading, it probably turned a circle tighter than the Cr.42 did. Guns were pretty equivalent. 2 12.7mm vs 4 7.62mm. In my mind, it's close, but the Polikarpov has it.

DSCN1301.jpg

at the risk of being either deluged with information or told to b*#x/ off I'm trying to find out information on my grandfather who was a navy pilot during WW2 i believe he flew amongst others a Walrus plane from a carrier and have a couple of pictures but not sure what planes they are he died before I was born and apparently would talk rarely about his experiences can any one help?

The I-153 is the fastest either level and climb and had lowest power load
Gladiator had lowest wing load
Cr 42 had longest range and best weaponry in the 4 12.7 variants (if we excluded the eight I-153 with 2-20)

Did you know that Avia Bk 534 achieved the last biplane fighter kill in WW2 and indeed in history of aerial warfare? It was in autum of 1944 during Slovak national uprising, when one of the insurgents Bk 534 shoot down a hungarian Ju 52. I dont remember exact date and pilot name but I can find out if someone is interested.

Sorry, just a little detour off the topic. CR-42 remains my favourite.8)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back