Votes: 21 17.1%
  • F-106 Delta Dart

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • F-102 Delta Dagger

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • F-104 Starfighter

Votes: 9 7.3%

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Soren

1st Lieutenant
Feb 6, 2005
So which is it in your opinion ?

She is a beaut!

f8u_vought_crusader_vought.jpg

II'm leaning towards the English Electric lightning, eventhough it just barely made it into this category being introduced at the very end of the 1950's, December 1959.

Damn how could I forget about the F8 Crusader ! One of my fav a/c !

Hey mods, add the F8 to the poll please :)

The F8 Crusader English Electric Lighting are definitely top contenders.

Soren - best fighter for what (or which combination of) missions?

Delivery of nuclear weapons, fighter bomber, interceptor, air superiority, fleet defense, ???

F-106 ought to be in the list

Toss up already mentioned is a good one. But the Mig 21 also came out in 1959. That's gotta be worth a look.

Forgot one more that had it's first flight in 1959. How about the Northrop F-5. That was one very neat bird. It even looked like a fighter jet should look.

That would cut part of your list if you actually looked at combat records in air to air?

Why ? I know the F-105 for example primarily was used as a fighter-bomber, but it could was also used for aircombat, acquiring a decent score.

The F-106 Delta Dart actually should be on the list, I haven't heard much about this a/c before but its stats look impressive.

The F-106 Delta Dart actually should be on the list, I haven't heard much about this a/c before but its stats look impressive.

The 106 was very agile, but slower in acceleration relative to the Lightning and the MiG 21. Probably the best manuever aircraft in the US inventory in the 50's. However it was pure missle in the 50's.

The F-105 actually had better than 1:1 - at least in the 355th which got 20 in the air in NVN... but the favorite saying for the Thud drivers was "Check your 12" simply because speed was its out manuever. Nothing could touch it on the deck - not even the F-4.

The 355th had three guys score 2 in one mission, plus Thorsness got one and a probable when he got his Medal.

Having said this it was TAC spec all the way. Fast, on the deck, deliver a big Nuc and get outta town and really doesn't get votes as an air combat fighter.

I wonder how the F-106 Electric Lightning would've compared. The Lightning was said to be extraordinarily maneuverable and a great turn fighter, which in no doubt was because of the massive amounts of available thrust.

Have to ask Soren, old sport. With this poll, is it meant those that first flew in the 50's or introduced into airforce service? Why I ask is that the Mirage first flew in '56 but entered service in '61.... Then I wouldn't mind to howl for the Swedish J 35 Draken which entered service....oh cr*p!....March '60! B*ll*cks!
But, again, it first flew in '55. How does the F-102 Delta Dagger fit into this compared to the F-106 Delta Dart already mentioned? Aaand the Starfighter, is that a fighter or an interceptor here?

I'm italian so i need to vote F-104 (italian air force is longer user of 104. and there is one as gate guardian in my town)

p.s. 104 operational service in italy 1962/2004

Lucky,

I was aiming for a/c who saw service within the 1950's, and sadly a few nice a/c just miss out because of that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back