Votes: 21 17.1%
  • F-106 Delta Dart

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • F-102 Delta Dagger

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • F-104 Starfighter

Votes: 9 7.3%

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Great info Waynos! And yes, I think it would be a bit unfair to compare the XF-106 with its -9 J-79. The 106 went through countless mods as initially it was being looked upon as a "dog." Here's a good run down of the 106 mods.

F-106A

The -9 engine was only putting out about 15,000 lbs thrust, by the time we had the matured F-106A you were looking at almost 25,000 pounds.

I'm now going to bed, I may read a bit more of that book, if I find anything of significance to the thread I'll put that up too, night night guys.

Certainly David, happy to oblige

It is 'Testing Early Jets by Roland Beamont, published by Airlife in 1990 and the ISBN is 1 85310 158 3

Got mine off ebay for £2.50, might be worth a punt.

Thanks for the info, at £2.50 it sounds like a bargin.

This is a GREAT thread guys!

Edit: Which are the jets that they're testing in the book?

Hi, the aircraft discussed in the book are as follows;

1 - early compressibility issues - Spitfire, Hurricane, Typhoon, Bf 109B, Fw 190A-3, Fw 190V-1, Me 262, Me 163, Gloster Meteor, Vampire, Hawker P.1052, DH 108, Tempest.

2- Flight test reports (all by Beamont himself) - P-80, P-84, B-45, XP-86, Canberra, English Electric P.1, Lightning Mk 3, TF-102, F-102A, F-104A, XF-106, F-106A, TSR 2,.

3 - Resume discussing Concorde and placing it in context with the X-15, SR-71, and Space Shuttle

Plenty to get stuck into. :)

Was just reading Janes All the Worlds Aircraft 71-72 and it states the lightning had a non steerable nose wheel ...How would you steer ..Brakes? another thing is the flaps were wet would that lead to excess of plumbing or complications for servicing

Was just reading Janes All the Worlds Aircraft 71-72 and it states the lightning had a non steerable nose wheel ...How would you steer ..Brakes?
I would guess it had a set up like the Soviets were famous for, a castering nose wheel worked with differential brake pressure - actually the soviets got that set up from the British
another thing is the flaps were wet would that lead to excess of plumbing or complications for servicing
Yep - they stuffed fuel anywhere and everywhere they can.

I would guess it had a set up like the Soviets were famous for, a castering nose wheel worked with differential brake pressure - actually the soviets got that set up from the British

Yep - they stuffed fuel anywhere and everywhere they can.

. . . . and, of course, light planes do the same thing; I remember very well trying to steer a Cessna 337 on the ground at 0 IAS with nothing but the brakes and the throttle.

. . . . and, of course, light planes do the same thing; I remember very well trying to steer a Cessna 337 on the ground at 0 IAS with nothing but the brakes and the throttle.
Actaully Cessna models do have a nose steering system. Grumman American has castering nose gears but still uses toe brakes. On Cessna models you have to use brakes in tight turns, but once rolling they do have a system connected to the rudder pedals.

Was just reading Janes All the Worlds Aircraft 71-72 and it states the lightning had a non steerable nose wheel ...How would you steer ..Brakes? another thing is the flaps were wet would that lead to excess of plumbing or complications for servicing

That edition describes the F.Mk. 53 export version, which is related to the F.Mk 6, and in a cutaway describes a "Castor auto disconnect" (No.23)...

In the 66-67' edition however, the F.Mk 1A is described as having a "hydraulically-steerable nose wheel".

Beamont, in his flight report on WG760, mentions "restricting light brake to the main wheels for steering".
Interestingly he records that the main wheels are good for fifteen landings, which he describes are "reasonable".

The family...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back