The chances of THAT happening...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I have read this story in several places. The Russian satellite is described as being out of control. That can cause the orbit to be a bit erratic.

What I wonder is why we didn't see this coming at the old NORAD.

From what I can find this wasn't a head on collision, or a T-Bone, but more of a "side swipe". This will still cause a rain of space junk to settle through lower orbits until it can enter the atmosphere and burn up.

Bill G.

Gotta believe it was a sideswipe. Bound to happen sooner or later. Statistically, it was only a matter of time.

The chance of a satellite being hit at any one time is insignificant. That chance of any satellite hitting any other satellite over the course of human existance is 100%.

So, it just happened.

Gotta believe it was a sideswipe. Bound to happen sooner or later. Statistically, it was only a matter of time.

The chance of a satellite being hit at any one time is insignificant. That chance of any satellite hitting any other satellite over the course of human existance is 100%.

So, it just happened.

Probably so. I didn't mean to come off sounding like a conspiracy nut. Still, it does make you wonder a bit...

Venganza

I have read this story in several places. The Russian satellite is described as being out of control. That can cause the orbit to be a bit erratic.

Unless it had thrust - it would be entirely ballistic and it's orbit entirely predictible

What I wonder is why we didn't see this coming at the old NORAD.

If in fact, the Sovs lost control over the satellite two years after they launched it - it would be in the data base but not necessarily 'tracked'

From what I can find this wasn't a head on collision, or a T-Bone, but more of a "side swipe". This will still cause a rain of space junk to settle through lower orbits until it can enter the atmosphere and burn up.

Bill G.

It raises the interesting question regarding co-ordination of launch and orbit track planning with NORAD or any other agency to get 'clearance'. Sounds to me like Iridium screwed up in this case if the Sov satellite track was known - at least know there was a risk.

Probably so. I didn't mean to come off sounding like a conspiracy nut. Still, it does make you wonder a bit...

Venganza

No worries, was going strictly with the numbers, the odds, so to speak.

Then again, you never really know....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back