the day the music died... (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

bobbysocks

Chief Master Sergeant
Feb 28, 2010
Pennsylvania
56 years ago today Feb 3. 1959 a small plane crashed near Clear Lake, Iowa. killed in the crash were 3 popular musicians, Buddy Holly, J.P. Richardson ( known as the Big Bopper ), and Richie Valens. Waylon Jennings who was Holly's bass player gave up his seat to The Bopper. The death of these three was mentioned in a line in Don McLean's song American Pie...as the day the music died. guess i will have to drive my chevy to the levy today....

From my Facebook post a few days ago..

February 3 will be the 56th anniversary of the death of Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and the Big Bopper (JP Richardson). Much as been written about these three rock and roll legends, but little is mentioned about the pilot of their tragic flight. Such a tragedy as he was so young as well.

"Roger A. Peterson age 21, Peterson was born and raised in Alta, Iowa, the eldest of four children born to Arthur and Pearl Peterson. By 1959, he had been flying for over four years, receiving his private pilot's certificate in October 1955 and commercial pilot's certificate in April 1958; a short time later he was hired as a pilot for Dwyer Flying Service in Mason City, Iowa.

Peterson had married his high school sweetheart, Deanne Lenz, the September before. They had just established a home in Clear Lake, not far from the Mason City airport. The career he was passionate about seemed assured.

In January 1959, Peterson received certification as a limited Flight Instructor, though he was still working on his flight instruments training and was not rated for instrument flying."

This tragedy is still discussed and investigated.

Storm Lake Pilot Tribune: Local News: Could new investigation clear Buddy Holly pilot? (01/20/15)

2265887-L.jpg

I remember how the girls were crying at school when their deaths were announced on the radio stations. No one will ever know how much good music would have been written by them. I remember because I was 9 years old at the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back