Hi Merlin,
>As it said in the above - the Dixon bullet only became available in time for Dunkirk, so what you read with Tony Williams (I think the official designation is incendiary Mk VII) is probably correct but for later - when supplies were plentiful.
To defend Tony, he just listed the ammunition types - the decision to calculate effectiveness for a 1:1 (or 4:4) mix was mine.
>Found another quote for you - from Deighton's 'Fighter' p.172/173
Ah, that's a good one. I read that a long time ago, and it really stuck to my mind. Considering that pilots of all nations were warned against relying too much on tracers, the Dixon/de Wilde ammunition must have had additional value over its incendiary effect due to showing that the impacts are on target. From what I read, tracers would often create the illusion of being on target when in reality they were missing. (The Luftwaffe actually designed a special "observation round" for exactly that purpose. It was mostly used with flexible defensive positions on bombers, though.)
>A common mix was four guns with normal bullets, two with armour piercing and two with the new De Wilde incendiaries. This latter ammunition was very popular with the fighter pilots.
Excellent, this 4

2 Ball:AP:I mix would still yield 86% of the 4:4 AP:I mix' effectiveness

Accordingly, my above estimates should not be too far off. (It's not like the comparison against 12.7 mm or 20 mm guns was particularly close-run to begin with.)
While we're at it, do you happen to have any data on the 20 mm "ball" (actually, steel) rounds of the Hispano II? From Tony's work, it seems that these were used initially with the Hispano cannon because other rounds were not yet available in numbers, and as we're talking about a Battle of Britain context here, it might be better to figure in the lower effectiveness of these rounds too.
Regards,
Henning (HoHun)