The efficiency of multiple crewmen in destroyer type fighters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The RAF seemed to feel that way. The rear gunner in the Defiant had almost no chance of bailing out.
Why would he have to bail out? His job was to hose down a fleet of defenceless enemy bombers flying in formation, to be shot down.

The average seems to be two crewmen.

The Bf110 for example, could have two or three.
The Whirlwind (which was classified as a heavy fighter) had one.
The Ju88C heavy fighter had three.
The KI-45 had two.
The Fokker G.1 had one.
And so on.

To be honest, I can't think of any that had more than three.

My favorite destroyer type fighter. it would fit right in Sky Captain, and the World of Tomorrow
1587910248756.png
ow

Last edited:
Later they fit the prop shaft with some kind of explosive bolt that sheared the prop off.
I do wonder how well that would have worked.
A spinning prop, suddenly freed, isn't going to just go straight to the rear.

I can see one of the loose props buzzsawing through the tail section.

How would you like being in that nacelle with no view ? That isn't glass, it's plexiglas.
They had the ability aim and fire them too. It doesn't appear they had much traversing ability though.

He's enlisted, he's expendable.

A bit like the RAF and its post war bomber Command non flying aircrew; in the V-Bombers, only the two pilots had ejection seats. In the Vulcan the top popped off, which enabled aircrew on the lower floor in the back to get out, but normal procedure was to descend onto the lower level and bail out ther entry door. In the Victor and Valiant the crew were all on the same level at least. In this picture you can see why getting out of the exit door of the Vulcan in an emergency on the ground was a bad idea.

http://warbirdswalkaround.wixsite.com/warbirds/avro-vulcan?lightbox=dataItem-io5f34cz

The rear gunner in the Defiant had almost no chance of bailing out.

The small door under the turret is terribly small, but the gunner could get out through rotating ther turret to the side and exiting through the clamshell glazing. The gunner had what was known as the 'Rhinosuit', which was a special flight suit within which was a parachute. It certainly didn't help egress.

http://warbirdswalkaround.wixsite.com/warbirds/boulton-paul-defiant?lightbox=dataItem-jne89jpc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back