The Falklands

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Unfortunately I lost the document but there was an interview with the Captain of HMS Coventry that was sunk during the conflict. He made an interesting statement saying that he knew when the A4's took off, the payload they were carrying and even the names of the pilots. He also knew that he was too close inshore and this made him vulnerable and had said this in no uncertain terms to Admiral Woodward who insisted that he maintained station.

The bit that I found of interest was the knowledge of the attacking aircraft.

They knew an attack was inminent because they catched the transmitions of the Learjet 35 which was acting as FAC aircraft, maybe in there he could knew about the type of attacking craft (I dont think so but aniway...) but I seriously doubt that Hart-Dyke knew the pilots name and the payload. The type 42 radar could see always when the KC-130 was "feeding" the a-4 because its range (some 200 nautical miles I believe) so the surprize was little. I have almost every documentry on the HMS Coventry demise and never heard of this issue before.

Argentinian British sympathizers feeding sensative information or intercepted communications perhaps?

The correct word would be traitor, there are many Argentinian British sympathizers, I am one, but surely I wont pass sensitive info to anybody in wartimes.

Last edited:
The airfields where the Skyhawks and Super Etendards took off are when known.

All you needs is a pair of binculars and a telephone and job done.

The airfields where the Skyhawks and Super Etendards took off are when known.

All you needs is a pair of binculars and a telephone and job done.

Not all the aircraft take off from the same airfield, there were 2 in the island of Tierra del Fuego and 2 more in the mainland (province of Santa Cruz) . This 4 airfield were separated each other by a considerable amount of miles. If there was any of that sort it could be made by a team of SAS or something inserted in an clandestine operation. But after the failure of the raid to destroy the Super Etendards (operation Mikado) it does not seem likely that the British Military attemp to another special operation in the mainland, I dont say is not possible, we all know the skills of those special teams, but to me seems not likely. I dont think there was any argentine national involved in passing information to the enemy, there were several people against the military Goverment who ruled the country in 1982, but not in that way. If not an argentine national or an british clandestine operation to keep an eye on the airfields...who then ? There is another possibility, the observation by a foreigner of group of foreigners who could pass unnoticed in the southern territories of Argentina.

Last edited:
I am sure the British would have had enough resources to keep check on 4 airfields.

from what I have read, the task force knew of when a raid was on.

A clandestine operation to watch is very different from a shooting match. If the British didnt know a Argentine fighter was airborne then you have to ask who was running this show and why was he in charge.

An attack on an airfield was a decidedly dodgy affair with taking the war to the Argentine mainland and the possible loss of civialian life. War is a diplomatic nightmare and neutrals may have come off the fence if that happened.

Well...that was a "poetic" license. Now I realize slug is another word for bullet, english is a difficult language and I got 4 others in my head..

I am sure the British would have had enough resources to keep check on 4 airfields.

from what I have read, the task force knew of when a raid was on.

A clandestine operation to watch is very different from a shooting match. If the British didnt know a Argentine fighter was airborne then you have to ask who was running this show and why was he in charge.

An attack on an airfield was a decidedly dodgy affair with taking the war to the Argentine mainland and the possible loss of civialian life. War is a diplomatic nightmare and neutrals may have come off the fence if that happened.

The special operation called MIKADO was underway but the scout helicopter had a a mechanical failure and the secrecy was destroyed.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back