The Greatest Fighter Jet of All Time.

Which is the Best?

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

1200 or 120?

And I think that even though the Harrier might be quick off the deck in some circumstances, once an F18 or F14D hits the afterburner, the Harrier is fast left behind.

syscom3 said:
1200 or 120?

And I think that even though the Harrier might be quick off the deck in some circumstances, once an F18 or F14D hits the afterburner, the Harrier is fast left behind.

we had 1200 but we scrapped abunch of them cuz apparently we dont have enough pilots to fly them, so we are left with 120 but we are scrapping more pisses me off.

Well lets see take this from a Helicopter Maintainer and Crew Chief in the US Army right now. The Apache is a major maintenanance problem all the time. I have seen them in action when they supported my Blackhawks on missions. The Apache is great when it is in the air but it is a piece of shit. That is one reason why our 160th SOAR does not use the Apache but rather the MH-60's with Hellfires and Miniguns because it is a much better aircraft than the damn Apache.

Sorry for all you people up there that think the Apache is a great sollution and better than a Harrier. You are wrong and dont know what you are talking about. Trust me I know. FlyboyJ is also correct when he says it has a high maintenance to flight hour ratio. It is almost 8 hours of maintenance for every flight hour. Compared to the Blackhawks 1 Hour for every 1 Hour of flight time.

Also if the Harrier was so bad then why dont the Marines replace theres with the Apache. I know the Marine Harriers I saw in Iraq were doing a mighty fine job.

CC the Apache you are talking about was when I was in Iraq and they were supporting an Air Assault mission that I was flying. The AK's round penetrated the Oil Cooler and it went down. Fortunatly the crew was safe and not injured. Later a Chinook slung load it out. My friend has video footage of it all.

And if the Harrier isnt going to be used in a VTOL mode, then what is its rationale

STOL, how many fixed wing combat aircraft can take off in less than 100ft from a standing start?

and everyone here has already told you how maintenance hungry the apache is, not to mention its cost........

the lancaster kicks ass said:
and everyone here has already told you how maintenance hungry the apache is, not to mention its cost........

Helicopters are typically expensive to fly anyhow. The Apache is just worse because of it maintenance record and besides the fact that they crash a lot.

Someone here quoted something about Apaches having problems in Afganistan. Even though I do not like the Apache it is not just the Apache that is having problems there but every aircraft. The Higher Altitudes there mean that the aircraft has less power because of the denser air in the mountains. Less power means you can not do the maneuvers that you can make at lower alltitudes or lower temperatures and for that reason helicopters are crashing in Afganistan. It has nothing to do with the Apache but all helicopters in general.

DerAlder. The observation about operating at altitude was mine and I do agree that its a general problem.
In the observation I did say 'that like a lot of helicopters the Apache' I didn't try to imply that it was only a problem with the Apache.

102first_hussars said:
the durability of the F-18's Tail Wing is another question that makes me question why the canadian airforce bought 1200 of those planes.

That's been long corrected

syscom3 said:
And if its one thing the marines are good at, its getting funded.

And there I will say you're flat out wrong. The Marines traditionally got Navy leftovers and until changes were made at NAVAIR, this was the status quo. The results of those changes are the AV-8, the V-22 and now a Marine as the JCS Chairman....

syscom3 said:
The marines always seem to end up with what they want. They have powerfull friends in Capitol Hill.

Depends what era and under what Presidential Administration you're talking about - right now they have mega clout!!!

The Apache was a great Advancement from the Cobra, but the USN still uses the updated SuperCobra instead of the Apache.

I think the Comanche is going to be something sweet.

Nonskimmer said:
Huss, we never had 1200 F-18's. We started out with something like 138 of them. Most of them are the A model, but there are a few B's in there as well.

K my bad your right, I got the statistics mixed up with a squadron number.

102first_hussars said:
The Apache was a great Advancement from the Cobra, but the USN still uses the updated SuperCobra instead of the Apache.

I think the Comanche is going to be something sweet.

Because the Cobra is just as good and can do everything that the Apache can and is not as maintenance intensive and does not break as much.

Dont keep up with the news much do you? The Comanche was already canceled. Quite a while ago.

Are you serious what the hell happend there was nothing wrong with the dam thing

First of all it was too expensive, and the AH-64D Longbow could do everything that the Comanche could do.

sorry adler you miss-understand me, syscom argued at one point that the marines didn't want the harriers but they got them through political means, but him saying the marines always get what they want is contradicting that and it means the marines wanted the harriers!

Users who are viewing this thread