The Greatest Fighter Jet of All Time.

Which is the Best?

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The Planes that I posted are the ones that I could think off the top of my head Im sure there are better ones out there so feel free to add more input on other Jets

I go with F-86 has a proven combat record, even if you discount the Korean war 10 to 1 kill ratio claim, it still walked away with at least a 4 to 1 kill ratio. It served for over 30 years and in combat even shot down Mig-21s.

The F-15 is second with something like a 105 to 0 kill ratio

You should of had the F-4 up there - althought it had it's trouble in Viet Nam (more for political reasons) it still performed well.

Between all 3 aircraft - they are the worlds largest distributor of used Mig parts...... 8)

I believe if the Arrow was built, in a manueving dogfight, it would of been lunch.....

English Electric Lightning. It was 'the' interceptor of it's day ...and it's day was one long day!

plan_D said:
English Electric Lightning. It was 'the' interceptor of it's day ...and it's day was one long day!

Sorry D - the Lightning was a great interceptor, but no combat record, and in a dogfight she would of been lunch.....

The idea of the Lightning was not to get into dogfights. In any case, the Lightning was no slouch and could out-pace anything in it's day. It could even out-run a few of the missiles of it's day.

Combat record or not, the Lightning intercepted (while not shooting down) Soviet aircraft on a daily basis. And it proved that it was able to get to the opponent before any other aircraft. All those other aircraft would have never been able as a first-line of defence, they just weren't quick enough.

If we're basing this off combat record alone - then many, many aircraft have to be cast aside because they never had the oppurtunity. That's not basing off the aircraft's design, only it's oppurtunity.

plan_D said:
The idea of the Lightning was not to get into dogfights. In any case, the Lightning was no slouch and could out-pace anything in it's day. It could even out-run a few of the missiles of it's day.

Combat record or not, the Lightning intercepted (while not shooting down) Soviet aircraft on a daily basis. And it proved that it was able to get to the opponent before any other aircraft. All those other aircraft would have never been able as a first-line of defence, they just weren't quick enough.

Agree!

plan_D said:
If we're basing this off combat record alone - then many, many aircraft have to be cast aside because they never had the oppurtunity. That's not basing off the aircraft's design, only it's oppurtunity.
True - but the only measurements we have is operational performance (as you showed) and combat. I think the glory goes to "killer." ;)

The F4 has to be the best jet aircraft since 1946.

It saw combat in the Middle East and Vietnam (and Gulf War 1?).

It was used by dozens of nations

It was both a land based and shipbased fighter

It was used in the following roles: fighter, ground attack, interceptor, recon and "wild weasel".

It was in production for quite some time and thousands were built.

It was a front line aircraft for nearly three decades.

syscom3 said:
The F4 has to be the best jet aircraft since 1946.

It saw combat in the Middle East and Vietnam (and Gulf War 1?).

It was used by dozens of nations

It was both a land based and shipbased fighter

It was used in the following roles: fighter, ground attack, interceptor, recon and "wild weasel".

It was in production for quite some time and thousands were built.

It was a front line aircraft for nearly three decades.

Yep! Gotta agree and yes it was in Gulf War 1 - Wild Weasel 8)

As much as I'd love to say the CF-105, the fact is that although the flight tests were looking good airframe wise, it never performed with its intended power-plant and the bugs with the fire-control and weapons systems were never worked out, before it was cancelled and scrapped. Obviously, it never even saw service much less combat. I'll always love it anyway though. :rolleyes:

So for now I'm going with the Su-37 or Mig-29. Just because they're wickedly cool. :)

F-15 almost lost - close but no cigar!

"Accordingly, the F-15 was designed with broad-chord wings supplemented with additional lift from the upper surface of the wide fuselage. This feature showed its value several years later in the Middle East, when an Israeli F-15 lost its right wing in combat and was still able to return to its base for a normal landing."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back