The Greatest Fighter Jet of All Time.

Which is the Best?

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ACE Spades,

Since we're both new and no one so far has kindly answered your question, I'll tell you what I think about the F14 Tomcat. Forgive me if i seem long winded.

One of the top three "overall" fighter jets the US ever had. Number one is now the F-22. It displaced the F-15 which was number 1. It's now number 2. F-14 was number 3. "Was" because it's no longer in service.

The number one interceptor/fleet defense the US ever had. The F-22 and F-15 easily have the capability to be the best in this category, but they weren't used in that role and don't carry the Phoenix which was designed specifically for interception/fleet defense.

Although the Tomcat wasn't the touted air superiority aircraft the Eagle is, the Tomcat can hold its own against the best. Ever read the stories about the mock battles between Eagles, Falcons, and Tomcats back in the 80's? Records showed that Tomcats had the winning record against the Falcon and Eagle. Yep, `tis true. Some say the Tomcats were operated by better pilots in those mock battles. Maybe so. And if so, that doesn't diminish or downplay the abilities of the jet either. Put the very best pilot in the world in an old F-86 up against an average pilot in an F-15 and see who would win.

all the stats and boring facts aside, there was never a better looking aircraft to grace the skies than the Tomcat. Comparing the F-15, F-16, F-18, and F-14 is like comparing favorite sports cars. The F-15 equates to the Porsche 911, the F-16 to the Corvette, the F-18 to the Nissan 350Z or some other Japanese sports car, and the F-14 to the Ferrari.

The Porsche and the Corvette are truly the best sports car one can buy for their money in terms of pure acceleration, practicality, roominess, reliability, servicability, handling ability, and price. Great bangs for the buck. Porsche is more expensive, and so is the F-15. The Japanese sports car is a lesser performance car than the Porsche and Corvette but also costs less but has famed Japanese reliability and low maintenance going for it. The Ferrari is sometimes the fastest, sometimes second fastest, handles like a dream, but costs way too much and is always need maintenance. But damn, there's no car that gets more attention than a Ferrari. Just like the F-14. They both look fast standing still and have sexy curves.

I read all the pages. Lots of them including the ones on the F-14.
However, ACE of Spades is new and may not have read all of them. But that doesn't give someone excuse to respond to his question in such a hauty manner.

However, ACE of Spades is new and may not have read all of them. But that doesn't give someone excuse to respond to his question in such a hauty manner.

Oh really?!?! - well who died and made you king?!?!? Let me tell you something numbnuts, we don't tolerate new-bees coming on here spouting off, especially to a moderator. I suggest you READ some of the other threads just for new members. With that said, if you don't like the way we do things here, the Internet is a very big place - move on. One more spout like that and you won't have to worry about any more "hauty mannerisms." I hope I make myself perfectly clear....

I did not spout off to anyone in a hauty manner, including yourself. If you take offense to a innocent post like that, then you need to grow some thicker skin man.

I almost voted for the F-4, but the F-15 has an unmatched combat record; no other aircraft in history has a 105-to-0 combat record. It is unlikely that any other aircraft (with the possible exception of the F-22) will ever acheive a similar record.

The F-15 is also versatile, possibly more versatile than the F-4; the F-15E Strike Eagle is proof of that. There have also been satellite-killer versions of the F-15, and experimental versions of a two-seat SEAD version of the -15.

Flyboy:

Do you know how many F-22s are in operational squadrons today?

Would you agree with some comments suggesting the advent of the F-22 -and the unbelievablly high cost of each Raptor- has come to ruin some combat capabilities of the US air force?

Flyboy:

Do you know how many F-22s are in operational squadrons today?

Would you agree with some comments the advent of the F-22 -and the unbelievablly high cost of each Raptor- has come to ruin some combat capabilities of the US air force?
I believe 2 Squadrons (both in Alaska) are flying the F-22, I also think there are some at Luke and Nellis totaling about 65 or 70 aircraft scattered around and yes, there is speculation that between the F-22 and the F-35 some other capabilities may suffer. As I read one AF flyer's comment, "we're selling out soul on two unproven aircraft." If they both work as advertised, I think things will work out - if not heads are going to roll.

Flyboy, thanks.

Is it true the approximate cost of each toy (F-22) is USD $ 340 million?

I believe 2 Squadrons (both in Alaska) are flying the F-22, I also think there are some at Luke and Nellis totaling about 65 or 70 aircraft scattered around and yes, there is speculation that between the F-22 and the F-35 some other capabilities may suffer. As I read one AF flyer's comment, "we're selling out soul on two unproven aircraft." If they both work as advertised, I think things will work out - if not heads are going to roll.

I believe the Alaska Squadrons are just forming and are not fully mission capable yet.

Actually, the first two operational squadrons were both based at Langley with the 1st FW (Fighter Wing), the 27th FS (Fighter Squadron) the 94th FS; each squadron has approximately 40 Raptors each.

The pilots for the new wings in Alaska are going through operational training at Langley with the "experienced" pilots, and then transferring to Elmendorf AFB in Alaska.

There are also plans to base a squadron of -22's at Hickam AFB in Hawaii.

Actually, the first two operational squadrons were both based at Langley with the 1st FW (Fighter Wing), the 27th FS (Fighter Squadron) the 94th FS; each squadron has approximately 40 Raptors each.

The pilots for the new wings in Alaska are going through operational training at Langley with the "experienced" pilots, and then transferring to Elmendorf AFB in Alaska.

There are also plans to base a squadron of -22's at Hickam AFB in Hawaii.

40 F-22s!? Isn't their TOE 24 birds? 40 A/C for a squadron is ridiculous.

40 F-22s!? Isn't their TOE 24 birds? 40 A/C for a squadron is ridiculous.

Okay, I misquoted; the wing (the 1st) has received 40 Raptors, not the squadron:

"The 1st FW's 94th FS took delivery of it's last F-22A when serial number 05-4085 arrived at Langley AFB, VA, on January 19 (2007). The wing has received 40 Raptors since the first arrived on December 15, 2005, and two of it's three squadrons now operate this type." From Combat Aircraft: The World's Top Military Aviation Magazine, Volume 8, No. 2

That means the 27th should receive another 8 birds eventually.

Okay, I misquoted; the wing (the 1st) has received 40 Raptors, not the squadron:

"The 1st FW's 94th FS took delivery of it's last F-22A when serial number 05-4085 arrived at Langley AFB, VA, on January 19 (2007). The wing has received 40 Raptors since the first arrived on December 15, 2005, and two of it's three squadrons now operate this type." From Combat Aircraft: The World's Top Military Aviation Magazine, Volume 8, No. 2

Hell you never know with the Air Force. They always got some scheme, program, or initiative up their sleeve! Budget whores! :lol:

I go for the F-86 Sabre.

A superb aircraft, good looking with a top kill ratio.

Eric Brown said it was the best handling jet he ever flew and I can't argue with that.

Flyboy, thanks.

Is it true the approximate cost of each toy (F-22) is USD $ 340 million?

Sounds about right...

I believe the Alaska Squadrons are just forming and are not fully mission capable yet.
I think they have 3 aircraft delivered

I think that's happening as we speak...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back