The Greatest Fighter Jet of All Time.

Which is the Best?

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

i like the lightning for sheer speed..... Thats the speed freak side of me...
Like the harrier 'cause it is differn't and it has such versitility....
Like the Su 27 because it looks freakin good.....
Overall Harrier..... though...

The Harrier is not a fighter though you do realize that?

I dont understand why it is in the poll.

Actually I tend to disagree with you....at least in todays modern versions...

Here is a great pic I've found of 2 harriers.

http://www.airforce-technology.com/projects/harrier/images/harrier2.jpg
Its of Two AV-8B Harriers in service with the US Marine Corps.

Out of the list, I do have a strong feeling about the Harrier being the top of the list. Especially the modern versions. Harrier II Plus (AV-8B) VSTOL Fighter and Attack Aircraft, as it is called Is a FIGHTER. It is a VSTOL fighter and attack aircraft operational with the US Marine Corps, the Spanish Navy and the Italian Navy.

The Harrier II Plus extends the capabilities of the Harrier with the introduction of a multi-mode radar and beyond-visual-range missile capability.

It seems to me a multi purpose aircraft is what they are all struggling towards.

Negative the Harrier that is in service with the USMC is for strike, ground attack, and ground support missions. As with any modern Attack aircraft (minus the A-10) it can be used as a fighter if needed but it is first and formost a Ground Attack aircraft.

The Harrier is terrible for maintenance but I am impressed with its air to ground capability. We had Harriers supporting us when were were flying missions in Iraq.

I would say the title for the greatest aircraft ever has be a one among 3 aircrafts:
a) F-86 Sabre - its combat record in the korean war and other local conflicts (Indo-Pak war being a good example) speaks volume about its versatility and combat prowess.

b) MiG 15 Fagot - Same legacy as the F-86. In hands of experienced soviets was always an equal adversary of the Sabre. Gave birth to a whole line of magnificient fighters.

c) F-4 Phantom - No words can better exemplify this brute of a plane with the ultimate compliment as 'The world's largest distributor of MiG parts'. Helped many countries to aquire air superiority and is a strong contendor for the post of the greatest aircraft ever built.

Criticism/Feedback would be welcome.

The technically superior fighter on the list is the F-22.

The fighter with the best record on the is the F-15.

The fighter that has had the largest impact on air warfare is probably the F-4.

The fighter that is just kick ass though is the English Electric Lightning for just being so f*cking ace, so its the greatest.

top 4 choices for me from that list would be the F 4 Phantom, F/18, E.E Lightening and Sabre.

I'm coming to like jets more, I'm still a prop kinda guy though

Given the wide variety of aircraft listed and the number of accumulated years between all of them, I personally don't understand how the Mirage III has been left out. I've read only one other post supporting it, though I may have missed another. Use of the Mirage IIIs by the Israelis pretty much cleaned the slate against the Arabs and gave it a higher kill ratio than many of the aircraft listed.

Otherwise I guess I would have gone with the F-86 Sabre.

The Mirage III was not a great dog fighter and it was through the tactics of the IDF that they were able to exploit the strengths of the aircraft. One of the "classics" but I'd put the F-86 and the F-15 above her.

I think we should compare only the aircrafts which belong to the same generation. I dont see much sense to compare any planes to F-22 since its the first REAL 5th generation aircraft around and has a clear advantage over all contemporary adversaries. Moreover, we can't compare aircrafts which were assigned to different roles.
Then, imho the time scale is just too wide -
For example ,in the mid 80s , I would go with the Su-27 in a air superiority/intercept mission anyday, but in 79/82 I would take F-15 etc. etc.

We were considering here combat operations and the amount of metal left in the respective aircraft's wake - there is no doubt the F-15 holds this record firmly in place.

Users who are viewing this thread