The Greatest Fighter Jet of All Time.

Which is the Best?

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Just curious...

Has anyone mentioned the F-5 Freedom Fighter?

I believe it is (or was?) the "aggressor fighter" of choice, by both the Navy and the Air Force, in their respective Air Combat Training Programs.

Elvis

Actually, IIRC, most of the Aggressor pilots preferred the A-4 "Scooter", due to it's higher role rate and smaller silhouette (though I believe it had a lower thrust-to-weight ratio than the F-5). However, lately, both the Navy and AF have been using F-14D's, F-15's, and F-16's in the Aggressor role; you don't see too many F-5's anymore.

Actually, IIRC, most of the Aggressor pilots preferred the A-4 "Scooter", due to it's higher role rate and smaller silhouette (though I believe it had a lower thrust-to-weight ratio than the F-5). However, lately, both the Navy and AF have been using F-14D's, F-15's, and F-16's in the Aggressor role; you don't see too many F-5's anymore.
There's still a few at Fallon. One was brought into Reno as a static during the races.

the f-5 is only used in the trainer role now in the US and has equipped the US NAVY, the Brazilian Air Force, the Phillipine Air Force, and the South Korean Air Force:p

FLYBOYJ said:
You left out Botswana and Iran...
Would that be the new "F-18 like" Iranian Fighter?

thunder.jpg

:D

So apparently, it was used as an aggressor, but not so much anymore.
Oh well, nothing in this world is constant except change.

I still like it. To me, it looks like a slick little sports car with wings and a couple of jet engines.
:thumbup:

Elvis

Would that be the new "F-18 like" Iranian Fighter?

thunder.jpg

:D

So apparently, it was used as an aggressor, but not so much anymore.
Oh well, nothing in this world is constant except change.

I still like it. To me, it looks like a slick little sports car with wings and a couple of jet engines.
:thumbup:

Elvis

I worked on F-5s and they are easy to work on and fly - perfect fighter for the 3rd world.

I worked on F-5s and they are easy to work on and fly - perfect fighter for the 3rd world.
I understand that was the point.
Created solely to sell to allied nations who didn't have "competitive" aircraft in their inventory.
Didn't we sell a boat load of those to the S.Vietnamese back in the late 60's and/or early 70's?
I think that's where the whole "Skoshi Tiger" thing came from.
--------------------------------------------------------------

Matt,

Cool pic. Are those machine guns firing?

Elvis

I understand that was the point.
Created solely to sell to allied nations who didn't have "competitive" aircraft in their inventory.
Didn't we sell a boat load of those to the S.Vietnamese back in the late 60's and/or early 70's?
I think that's where the whole "Skoshi Tiger" thing came from.
Elvis

We did; and the majority of them ended up in North Vietnamese hands in '75 after we pulled out and Saigon/Ho Chi Minh City got overrun. IIRC, a few enterprising South Vietnamese pilots managed to make it out of the country with their F-5's, some of them landing on US carriers offshore of Saigon. Most of the a/c that made it to offshore US carriers ended up getting pushed over the sides of the carriers to make more room for other a/c.

F-5s landing on a carrier? Is there any video of that?? I personally find that a little hard to believe. Certainly can be done with the barrier erected, but I'm dubious that the airboss would allow it since the landing speed of the F-5 and resultant fouling of the deck would destroy the carrier's bring back efficiency.

I would love to read about that if you have any information.

F-5s landing on a carrier? Is there any video of that?? I personally find that a little hard to believe. Certainly can be done with the barrier erected, but I'm dubious that the airboss would allow it since the landing speed of the F-5 and resultant fouling of the deck would destroy the carrier's bring back efficiency.

I would love to read about that if you have any information.
I can see it being done the F5's have an arrester hook , but being an approach end engagement might cause a little havoc, as i believe the arrestor hook and aircraft was set up for a departure end engagement like most AF aircraft, naval aircraft use the approach end

I doubt this ever occurred. The F-5 was a robust aircraft and could have gotten away with one carrier landing in a pinch BUT no SVNAF pilots were ever trained to do carrier landings. Ya just don't go out untrained in an aircraft with a 130 mph landing speed and land it on an aircraft carrier - sorry, I don't buy this.
A few F-5s were flown to Thailand or wound up with the North Vietnamese.

Hueys? Another story - dozens of helicopters were flown out of South Vietnam to US ships.

I doubt this ever occurred. The F-5 was a robust aircraft and could have gotten away with one carrier landing in a pinch BUT no SVNAF pilots were ever trained to do carrier landings. Ya just don't go out untrained in an aircraft with a 130 mph landing speed and land it on an aircraft carrier - sorry, I don't buy this.
A few F-5s were flown to Thailand or wound up with the North Vietnamese.

Hueys? Another story - dozens of helicopters were flown out of South Vietnam to US ships.
Thats where the havoc part in my statement comes in I think it would bend the aircraft with an approach end engagement

Users who are viewing this thread

Back