Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Erich Hartmann

• Constantine Cantacuzine

• Richard Bong

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Spitfire was a great aircraft non the less, one of the best infact. However I think that just like the Me-109 it was exceeding its capabilities by the end of the war and was outclassed by newer and better fighters.

The problem with the K-4 it had great performance but it was not very highly maneuverable at highspeeds. Its climb speed also lagged.

Attachments

• bf109k_436.jpg
    bf109k_436.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 436
In a dogfight the Spit. Mk. XIV massacred the P-51.

there was absolutely no way the spit was "exceeding its capabilities by the end of the war " as can be proved by all the post war marks..........

Seeing as the Spitfire served post-war and was, in most peoples minds, the best dogfighter of the war. It certainly had not out-done itself.

Turbo-prop...did they have any turbo-prop Spitfires?

Many aircraft served post war the P-51 also. I am not saying the P-51 was any better then the Spitfire. The Spitfire was a marvelous aircraft dont take me wrong. However the airframe of the aircraft can only be strenghened so much and take so much before you can not upgrade it anymore. I highly doubt there were any turboprop Spitfires postwar. I really dont think the airframe could have taken a turboprop without being shaken apart.

Yes but to put the turboprob in the P-51 it had to basically be rebuilt and this was not until 1967. The P-51 proved to be so useful that in 1967 the Mustang was put into production once again, this time by Cavalier and Piper. The Cavalier Turbo-Mustang III and Piper Enforcer were developed as Counter-Insurgency (COIN) aircraft with duties including light attack, Forward Air Control and interdiction roles.

Attachments

• p51-25.jpg
    p51-25.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 367
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back