Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Erich Hartmann

• Constantine Cantacuzine

• Richard Bong

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Spitfire was a great aircraft non the less, one of the best infact. However I think that just like the Me-109 it was exceeding its capabilities by the end of the war and was outclassed by newer and better fighters.

Except the fact that the Spitfire Mk. XIV was the best dogfighter of the war.

The problem with the K-4 it had great performance but it was not very highly maneuverable at highspeeds. Its climb speed also lagged.

Attachments

• bf109k_436.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 436
Seeing as the Spitfire served post-war and was, in most peoples minds, the best dogfighter of the war. It certainly had not out-done itself.

and there were many post war marks with ever bigger engines, they proberly could have developed it more if we hadn't entered the jet age...........

Many aircraft served post war the P-51 also. I am not saying the P-51 was any better then the Spitfire. The Spitfire was a marvelous aircraft dont take me wrong. However the airframe of the aircraft can only be strenghened so much and take so much before you can not upgrade it anymore. I highly doubt there were any turboprop Spitfires postwar. I really dont think the airframe could have taken a turboprop without being shaken apart.

Yes but to put the turboprob in the P-51 it had to basically be rebuilt and this was not until 1967. The P-51 proved to be so useful that in 1967 the Mustang was put into production once again, this time by Cavalier and Piper. The Cavalier Turbo-Mustang III and Piper Enforcer were developed as Counter-Insurgency (COIN) aircraft with duties including light attack, Forward Air Control and interdiction roles.

Attachments

• p51-25.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 367
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread