The Greatest Fighter Pilot in WW II??? (2 Viewers)

The Best Ace???

  • Ivan Kozhedub

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Erich Hartmann

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Constantine Cantacuzine

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Richard Bong

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    0
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Spitfire was a great aircraft non the less, one of the best infact. However I think that just like the Me-109 it was exceeding its capabilities by the end of the war and was outclassed by newer and better fighters.
 
Except the fact that the Spitfire Mk. XIV was the best dogfighter of the war.
 
I dont know if I would call it the best. One of the best yes but the P-51 was also a great dogfighter.
 
The problem with the K-4 it had great performance but it was not very highly maneuverable at highspeeds. Its climb speed also lagged.
 

Attachments

  • bf109k_436.jpg
    bf109k_436.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 485
In a dogfight the Spit. Mk. XIV massacred the P-51.
 
there was absolutely no way the spit was "exceeding its capabilities by the end of the war " as can be proved by all the post war marks..........
 
Seeing as the Spitfire served post-war and was, in most peoples minds, the best dogfighter of the war. It certainly had not out-done itself.
 
Turbo-prop...did they have any turbo-prop Spitfires?
 
Many aircraft served post war the P-51 also. I am not saying the P-51 was any better then the Spitfire. The Spitfire was a marvelous aircraft dont take me wrong. However the airframe of the aircraft can only be strenghened so much and take so much before you can not upgrade it anymore. I highly doubt there were any turboprop Spitfires postwar. I really dont think the airframe could have taken a turboprop without being shaken apart.
 
Yes but to put the turboprob in the P-51 it had to basically be rebuilt and this was not until 1967. The P-51 proved to be so useful that in 1967 the Mustang was put into production once again, this time by Cavalier and Piper. The Cavalier Turbo-Mustang III and Piper Enforcer were developed as Counter-Insurgency (COIN) aircraft with duties including light attack, Forward Air Control and interdiction roles.
 

Attachments

  • p51-25.jpg
    p51-25.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 410
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back