Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Erich Hartmann

• Constantine Cantacuzine

• Richard Bong

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bar was an excellent pilot..... He was one of the few Luftwaffe pilots that scored crazy kills IN BOTH THEATRES.......

Ill list the name then WEST Kills then EAST Kills...

Name
WEST/EAST

Obstlt Heinz "Pritzel" Bär
125/96

Maj Erich Rudorffer
86/138

Maj Anton "Toni" Hackl
61/131

Hptm Ernst-Wilhelm Reinert
71/103

Maj Joachim Müncheberg
102/33

Maj Friedrich-Karl "Tutti" Müller
53/87

Obst Walter Oesau
73/44

Maj Werner "Vati" Mölders
68/33

Obst Herbert Ihlefeld
56/67

Maj Hans "Assi" Hahn
66/42

Ofw Heinrich Bartels
50/49

Maj Theodor Weissenberger
33/175

Maj Hans Philipp
28/178

Obst Johannes Steinhoff
28/148

Hptm Emil Lang
29/144

Obst Wolf-Dietrich Wilcke
25/137

An excellent pilot he was. I was always intrigued by him and would have loved to have actually had a chance to meet him had he not died way before I was born.

Yes another great one on the east and west front as you posted was Erich Rudorffer.

Moelders certainly would have been in the running for ace of aces if he had not died so early in the war.

I agree Moelders was an excellent pilot.

Attachments

• molders.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 1,044
His death is made even worse that he didn't die in combat. The best possible way for a warrior, such as they considered themselves, to die was in combat not some crash as a passenger in a storm.

I agree. That is the same for all soldiers no matter what they do. I know I would rather die in combat than if my Blackhawk were to just crash from mechanical failure or somthing. Not that I want to die.

Those Blackhawks are brilliant Helis, they'll get you home under a lot of shit. You know that.

Yes they will. Anyways the pilot ethos has always intrigued me. They are all brave and command respect no matter which side they fought on. Not every person can climb into the cramped cockpit of a fighter plane and fly into the skies knowing that you may not come back alive. They are all truely great men.

There are a number of top American aces who died, not from enemy action, but from flying accidents. Richard Bong, Thomas McGuire, Gerald R. Johnson, Danny Roberts, are just a few of these. Danny Roberts was especially tragic in my opinion. He was making a shard turn to stay on the tail of a Japanese fighter but his wingman was too slow reacting. The two fighters collided and both pilots were lost.

I read an interview with a guy who was the last one to see Dick Bong alive. He saw him flying over the road, steering the plane away from buildings to keep anyone on the ground from being killed. A hero to the end.

Well as for Dick Bong and all the other pilots who have done something like that, it takes a great man to do that and save so many lives even though you know your life is going to end. They are all heros. I have read many accounts of pilots who have done that mostly private pilots.

No it was not an accident, it was a crash during combat maneouvering.... An accident is an accident...

Accident:
"Capt Right was decending when he accidently hit the wrong control and inverted his plane and crashed into the ground."

Combat Related Fataltity:
"Capt Wrong banked to the left at 50 feet while pursuing a Japanese Zero and clipped his wingtip into the ground, cartwheeling into a fire-balling mess..."

Nope sorry man that is still an accident. An accident is something that did not happen on purpose. The guys who burned in a Blackhawk over hear a couple of months ago were on a combat mission when they turned to sharply and lost power and could not gain it back and hit the ground. That is an accident. So if he did not drop his tanks and hit the ground that would be an accident also. I do understand what you are saying but if he was not shot down then it would be an aircraft accident or some people would say an aircraft mishap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread