Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Erich Hartmann

• Constantine Cantacuzine

• Richard Bong

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes. The plane wasn't lost to enemy action but was lost by accident while tangling with the enemy in combat. Combat accident.

However you put it, McGuire was still listed as a KIA.

Interestingly, his fateful mission occurred 60 years ago today.

Personally, I cannot help but feel that McGuire would have survived the war if he hadn't been so obsessed with surpassing Bong's record.

There were a lot of Rivalry between pilots one that stands out to me was the one between Heinz Bar and Gordon Gollob:

Wow, interesting 8)

Yes, I agree. However I think he has become more well known than Bong. Or maybe thats just me.

Well, the more I am reading about McGuire, the less I like him as a person. Many of his squadron mates found him brash and annoying. He was supremely confident (which isn't bad for a fighter pilot) but in his case it blossomed into regular bragging. He would often chew out pilots who destroyed a plane he was attacking. Reportedly, he even got on Bong's nerves who was supposed to be remarkedly calm. That being said, McGuire was a pilot of phenomenal skill. Unfortunately, his skill couldn't keep up with his ego. If I were to guess, I would say the best fighter pilot of the war had equal parts ego and skill.

Still, he should be considered a hero who gave his all in the service of his country. I might not like him, but I certainly respect him for what he did.

Attachments

• mcguire_212.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 1,319
Any pilot who steps into the cockpit day in and day out for there country says something. They should be respected and honored. It is a risky and dangerous business. Not only do you have to contend with enemy fighters but with mechanical failure, the weather, and just making a mistake. It is not like driving a car, one slight mistake will get you killed. I think an ego should be allowed to an extent among pilots but yes sometimes it can go to far and you are disliked by everyone. Anyway my hats off to him just for what he was and what he did.

And lets not forget the navigational difficulties facing the pilots of single-seat fighters with 1940s technology.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread