The most fearsome WW2 antisubmarine aircraft?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Coastal Command sank 155 U-Boats, the Fleet Air Arm 31 and Bomber Command 16 (docked or on slips).

US Air Forces sank 159 U-Boats, the USN accounting for 83 of that total.

Some scores I have found for U-Boats destroyed.

B-17, 11. Catalina, 36. Swordfish, 22 (not bad). Mosquito, 8 (surprisingly low). Sunderland, 26. Avenger, 35 (surprisingly high ). Wellington, 27.

I'm pretty sure that the B-24, responsible for sinking 72 U-Boats, was the most effective U-Boat destroyer. Whether that makes it the most fearsome is up to you.

Cheers

Steve
no mention of the Hudson.

My sources say RAF Hudsons were responsible for the destruction of 26 U-boats, several I-boats of the IJN (I think with the RAAF) and played a key role in the capture of U-570. I know also that they played a role in the destruction of at least 5 Italian submarines.

swordfish were responsible for the destruction of 22 U-boats and at least 14 RM submarines and I think 2-4 Vichy controlled subs.

other aircraft not mentioned include whitley (5), Ventura (USN) 9 Uboats, plus ? Iboats and ? Italian Boats,

Avengers according to my sources sank 35 DKM U-Boats and including other Axis boats as well, not sure how this breaks down.

martlets of the RN and wildcats of the USN sank 27 boats, but this is a misleading number since they are mostly shared with the Swordfish and avengers. the fighters flew flak suppression mostly in support of the strike aircraft were awarded a kill whenever there was one. again this is U-boats only.

Catalina and maybe the PBY destroyed at least 38 U-Boat kills awarded to PBY/Catalina, unknown numbers of Italian boats and Japanese subs in the pacific. I have a suspicion these numbers are RAF and commonwealth only, but it might be everyone......

Mosquitoes only destroyed 8 U-boats, mostly because they did not enter the battle until late 1943. by that time the Germans were proceeding to sea in Uboat convoys reinforced by sperrbrecher ships with augmented with masses of AA weaponry basically armoured AA ships . This is seldom reported in allied accounts. The measures greatly reduced loss rates in the Biscay area, but also cut the uboat sortie rate in half, and many other u-Boats were forced back to port due damage from Rocket near misses and repeated hits by the 57 Molins guns used by RAF CC mosquitoes

Last edited:
Didn't mean to be tiresome, but I am a fan of airships. Given the frequency with which they are maligned and the butt of jokes, I just want to take every opportunity to clarify the subject.

i would love to snag a ride in a blimp! i see them fly over my house all the time going to cover the football games Pittsburgh. i do believe there is one stationed no too far from me in ohio. i know people with hot air balloons but that doesn't interest me in the least but a blimp or other lighter than air ship like that would be cool.

I think in terms of FEAR some it must be the B24 (or other) with Leigh light, previously safe in the darkness U Boats on surface at night could be given less than 30 seconds of attack by a bright light.

It must have given the U-boat crews a real fright when, one minute they are happily cruising on the surface way the heck out in the middle of the Atlantic, thinking they are too far from enemy aircraft, then all of a sudden one appears out of nowhere and starts bombing them.

Here's a book on U-Boat service histories and fates, 112 pages worth though the reviews I've read say the book isn't complete. Maybe one day I'll get motivated and tabulate the fates...

uboat.JPG

Beauty....bookmarked. From "German U-boat Losses During World War II - Details of Destruction" by Alex Niestle, published 2014, 353 pgs...

Capture.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back