Some people seem to add a little vinegar to the disagreement every single time anything of a certain national association is portrayed as anything less than ideal or perfect. Exploring the realities of the war is not a contest in which each nation scores points against the other. I am routinely just as critical of one force as any other.
That's not a reasonable excuse for simply marking my posts as funny, I'm afraid. You've consistently said I'm displaying a national bias when all I'm trying to do is provide some different contextual understanding to the direct comparisons you're trying to make.
No mate, you completely missed my point that the underestimate was largely a post-war phenomenon. The summary of the briefing given "expect a good fight" was correct. The summary of the Ki-43 on the modern armoured carriers site is where it goes awry.
Then I truly don't know what you're trying to achieve. I, for one, never underestimated the Ki-43. It was an outstanding fighter. By 1944 it was definitely past its best but it was still a dangerous adversary. I've never held a different position than that.
My theory as to war-time units in general, both in the US and Commonwealth forces, is that the higher-ups had an incorrect under-estimate of the capabilities of the Ki-43, just as they had with the A6M prior to the outbreak of war, but (to repeat myself again) the units in the field did not suffer from this illusion. However, it is by far the narrative which survived postwar, and one which this thread seeks to correct.
Well, the briefings to the FAA pilots were provided by "higher ups" or, at least, with their sanction. So which side of the argument is it? Early in the war in the Far East, it was often the squadron-level personnel who ignored accurate intelligence on the capabilities of the A6M. Unit commanders arriving in the Far East did, on occasion, ignore the advice of the "old hands" who'd been in-theatre a while...to their cost. Once the capabilities were understood, I find it incredibly hard to believe that anyone, at any echelon, would believe that either the Ki-43 or the A6M were anything other than dangerous adversaries.
Am I correct in my understanding that your theory, at least from the Commonwealth perspective, is based on Richey's account and, hence, you blame Peirse for not getting better aircraft into theatre?
I'm not ignoring a damn thing, as you know very well. You just don't like what I have to say. All of my conclusions are provisional pending further data.
Well, here I have to disagree. My likes are irrelevant. I'm just frustrated that you ARE ignoring posts and information provided.
I pointed out several times that Japan was bottom of the priority pile from the UK's perspective, and that it was London that assigned forces to specific theatres. You have completely ignored that point and just went back to blaming Peirse for failing to adequately equip his command, and hence he was an idiot. When I pushed back on that, you then asserted that "From your point of view, it's almost impossible for the senior RAF leadership in Burma to have made terrible decisions vis a vis the Hurricane, because they were wise and intelligent men doing their best."
The bottom line is that London set the priorities. Peirse could be screaming for better fighters but if London didn't send them, then he had to make do with what he had. Whether Peirse was capable or incapable of bad decisions is irrelevant. It wasn't within Peirse's gift to conjure up additional resources for his theatre. That was London's job...and they priorities any theatre where Germany was operating above the Far East.
FWIW, the same general approach to force allocation is followed today. For example, the US Geographic Combatant Commands do not generate their own forces. They request forces from the Secretary of Defense and it's through the Global Force Management and Allocation Process (GFMAP) that forces are assigned to theaters based on priority of need.
Then again, you'll probably just add another "funny" emoji to this post, too.