The sausage is the third best food in the world, because.... (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I spent years searching for the worst wurst in Germany, sadly they were all great

My favorites in Germany...

Stuttgarter Rote

Nürnberger Bratwürste

Thuringer Bratwurst

All served with a great German Extra Sharp Mustard.

You also can't forget a good German Curry Wurst sliced up with curry ketchup.

Oh and then you have the great Bavarian Weißwurst. Served with a sweet honey mustard.

Yup, that they are and NOW your in my territory. Grandpa was the homemade sausage King of South Chicago. Thr basement was his domain and he turned it into a sausage-making factory. He had all the tools and his personal butcher. He'd spend a fortune (Grandma came near to killing him several times) on meats, non-meats, and spices and generally he gave most of it away to friends and neighbors.
He'd spend hours cleaning and scraping intestines for casings, grinding meats, mixing ingredients, etc.
If there was a German/Polish sausage Grandpa had a recipe:
Kielbasa wiejska; Bockwurst; several types of Bratwurst; Jagdwurst; Knackwurst; Leberwurst; Mettwurst; and Prasky to name a few.
Now there were a few things the Grandpa made that were not fit for human consumption:
Kaszanka or Grutzwurst or Kiszka - sausage varieties whose main ingredients were blood (pig or duck); pig offal; with buckwheat soaking up the blood
Brawn or Souse of Presswurst - varieties of Head Cheese (its NOT cheese, it's a meat jelly with unmentionable things in it
Grandpa also pickled his own Pig Feet and made pickles as well
And Horseradish...I once asked Grandpa if I could please smell the horsies. He gave me a big bowl full and told me to take a big sniff. Thought I was gonna die. Grandama killed him on that one too

Actually a sausage tour of Europe would probably get a lot of followers -- I'd just avoid Italy, they've been having a lot of BSE cases...
Any evidence for BSE in Italy?

Berlusconi is not acceptable as evidence but it would explain a lot.

Any evidence for BSE in Italy?
There is a decline actually, but it's not a good idea to eat meat that turns you into a vegetable (and then a corpse)
Berlusconi is not acceptable as evidence but it would explain a lot.
No, vCJD doesn't look like that -- it causes anxiety and depression followed by progressive motor-control failure, dementia, and eventually paralysis, mutism, coma, and death. Average progression from start of symptoms to death is around 14 months. Atypical BSE just looks like regular CJD which starts with dementia; then the rest

I do a sausage tour through Germany every year it seems like...

Well all kinds of German food tour through Gernany that is. ;)
Sounds like a good idea

There has not been a significant problem with BSE in Europe in decades.
BSE affects cattle, it can be transmitted to humans where the effects are known as CJD, however CJD can also occur in humans anyway. In a population of 60 million one or two per year is normal but frequently this means three or four one year and no more for a few years. I cannot find anything concerning Italy in the last 20 years. In any case "Italy" does not exist as far as meat is concerned it is just one part of the EU market.

Seriously, where do you get this from?
It was kind of a dark joke. The disease cripples it's victims before killing them. So the joke is that you can become a vegetable from eating a sausage.
BSE affects cattle, it can be transmitted to humans where the effects are known as CJD
Well, technically it's called nvCJD or vCJD, but that's correct. The symptoms are slightly different, though the basic result is the same; there is a Atypical BSE that results in a profile that looks exactly like CJD in symptom profile (and some cases that look like Heidenhain variant, which is a sporadic variant that progresses faster, includes more visual problems that look like an acid trip, and include blindness).
CJD can also occur in humans anyway.
Correct, 84-85% of cases are spontaneously occurring, 14% are genetic (a glitch in Chromosome 20), and 1% are caused by iatrogenic cases (surgical mishap).
I cannot find anything concerning Italy in the last 20 years.
I heard of a few cases of atypical BSE in cattle some time ago...

It was kind of a dark joke. The disease cripples it's victims before killing them. So the joke is that you can become a vegetable from eating a sausage.

I heard of a few cases of atypical BSE in cattle some time ago...

Zipper I am a British national, the BSE epidemic killed people, it also resulted in farmers being bankrupted and taking their own lives, I well remember driving around Yorkshire when the problem was at its height and seeing no cows and few sheep. I cannot find any reference to BSE in Italy either typical or non typical on the net, show a reference or show in some way you were in Italy to hear of these cases, to my mind it is complete crap (BS would be inappropriate given the subject)

Of course it's at least the third best food in the world. As my college German teacher often said, "Alle kommt am Ende aber die Wurst, und sie hat zwei!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back