Just understand this:
Excess speed practically requires point-blank fire and a straight moving target.
It so happens that despite these restrictions, a significant number of kills were achieved early on. By the end everyone (except the Japanese Navy) turned more.
Maybe not the S.E.5 and D.VII,
but definitely the Ki-43 over the Ki-84!!! :
Osprey "Ki-43 aces of WWII" p.50: Sgt. Toshimi Ikezawa, Ki-43 ace: "
I heard Major Eto had refused delivery of the Ki-84 (640-660 km/h). They could not avoid an attack if it came from above, because of the Ki-84's poor rate of turn (17-18 s. left, 20-21 s. right). I think we owe our survival to the Ki-43 (540 km/h, 13 s. turn either way), as the Ki-84 would have left you in a tight spot if attacked from above by P-51s. Skilled Spitfire [Mk VIII] pilots would pull out of their dives when they realized they could not catch us [unaware]. New [Spitfire] pilots would continue to dive straight down on us, leaving them vulnerable in a turning fight..."
The Zero pilots, on the other hand, were given exactly the same misinformation as you:
-Drachinifeld, YT, "
A6M Zero or Hero?"
(Interview with Justin Pyke, UCalgary MA in Military and Intelligence History, @CBI_PTO_History) 59:07 "Intelligence reports assumed
that these tactics (hit and run) indicated the Zero lacked maneuverability." 59:22 "Judging from their apparently long fuselage,
these planes do not have a small turning circle, and are not very maneuverable." 59:33 "The Chinese report in question
noted the reluctance of the Japanese Navy pilots to dogfight." 1:00:05 "Chinese pilots report that
the Japanese will not engage in a turning duel." 1:01:42
USN pilot comment (1942): "In my opinion,
they [Zero pilots] had generally poor fighter tactics: Zeros could not be shaken by us if they would chop their throttles and sit on our tails. "
(Meaning TURNING at reduced power. Yes! Which Zeros SHOULD have done, but did NOT...):
"On October 21, 1943, the Group launched eight aircraft along with four Mustangs from the 530th on a big Japanese supply dump at Kamaing in Burma. The 530th squadron's P-51As met numerous Mitsubishi Zeros when they accompanied B-24s and B-25s on bombing missions. On the way down, I came up behind Lt. Geoffrey Neal, who was chasing a Zero [Mitsubishi A6M] down to the deck! I latched on to their formation and watched as he drove the enemy fighter right into the ground.
The pilot of the Zero had tried everything to get rid of Lt. Neal except to circle fight. At this point, Lt. Arasmith had two confirmed kills, but the fight wasn't over…"-311th Fighter Group Unit history
As were misinformed many Me-109 pilots:
"I learned to fly with the "Cannon-Mersu" (MT-461). I found that when fighter pilots got in a battle,
they usually applied full power and then began to turn.
In the same situation I used to decrease power, and
with lower speed was able to turn equally well. " (karhila)
Turning at reduced power to the rescue:
"
When the enemy decreased power, I used to throttle back even more. In a high speed the turning radius is wider, using less speed I was able to out-turn him having a shorter turning radius. Then you got the deflection.
250kmh seemed to be the optimal speed."
- Kyösti Karhila, Finnish fighter ace. 32 victories. Source:
Interview by Finnish Virtual Pilots Association.
"Erich's tactic (Eric Hartmann, probably 150 kills at most) was to strike quickly, getting as close as possible before firing, and then "hit and run", using the Messerschmitt's excellent climbing ability to advantage. Then he would repeat the process, taking advantage of his plane's good acceleration in dive. Unlike Hans Joachim Marseille, Hartmann hardly ever scored multiple victories in a single pass (
because straight and unaware, remember?). Bubi generally looked for a high cloud behind which to hide between attacks.
His tactics were not unlike those of Manfred von Richthofen, the top scorer of the First World War."
Interview by Finnish Virtual Pilots Association
WWI Red Baron tactics, get it?
Speed bad. Yes, speed bad, turn good:
-Iseo Mochizuki (Ki-61 pilot ace, 2009 interview, 90 years old): "
In the case of the Hien, you
would make a high speed attack [makes dive and zoom hand gesture]. But then, because [of
the speed] the turn radius became wide, and the enemy pilot [target] could turn inside you.
Because of that [speed] the chances of being shot down was high."
-Notes by QAZ, "Aviation Decisive Battle Weapons" P. 164-165, "Unknown Sword" P. 86-89 (Me-109E-7 vs
Ki-27): Oblt. Losigkeit: "
I think the Bf-109 can shoot when the Ki-27 tries [begins] to turn. [However] the Ki-27 often
turns, so I cannot dive on it."
P-51B vs Me-109G-6
"The second Me-109 was maneuvering to get on my tail, and a dogfight developed at 500 ft. (
after climbing, from 150 ft. out of attacking
a landing Me-109, and this with only a slow gain) At first he began to turn inside me. Then
he stopped cutting me off as I cut throttle, dropped 20 degrees of flaps and increased prop pitch.
Every time I got to the edge of the [German] airdrome they opened fire with light AA guns. [Meaning he was
forced to turn multiple consecutive 360s continuously,
even when going towards the enemy ground fire!!!] Gradually I worked the Me-109G away from the field,
and commenced to turn inside of him as I reduced throttle settings."
spitfireperformance.com/
mustang/combat-reports/339-
hanseman-24may44.jpg
Andf if yout think the P-51 did not turn, here is a circle fight of about 35 continuous minutes of making 90-100 consecutive circles on the deck. You could not roll out onced locked in the 3 G range...
I know of at least 3 such instances. (2 of 30 minutes, one 15 minutes.)
View: https://youtu.be/wkaTGSpRuJI?si=Ho1nvC5OxsP6CLxA
AT THE 1:20 MARK "
Fortunately, those shells went just behind my tail. I made I think probably 75 to 100 circles. Whether the Mustang was that much better (makes a small pinching gesture) or I was that much better than him, or a combination of both, I was gaining on him."
Can you even imagine how common were 4-10 circles? Hit and run on the other hand is much rarer than sneaking up under the tail, which in turn is much rarer than turning 4 consecutive circles, especially by 1944.
Just accept that your conception of this is the exact opposite of how it really was (and also the exact opposite of jet post war conceptions), and for some reason I am your only chance on Earth of understanding how it really was. Which Earth is
NOT flat by the way...