I had to go and check as honestly I cant even remember whats in there in detail... firstly its not really a very good book for those wishing to get a complete database of WW2 aircraft/engine combination specifications and performance, its more about telling the overall story of it (in detail) rather than trying to be a sort of database.
On page 405 There is a graph of speed/altitude of:
Sabre II / Typhoon 1B +7lbs
Sabre IIA / Tempest V +9lbs
Sabre V / Tempest (estimate) +20lbs
Sabre E122 +25lbs (estimate) in on Napier schemed fighter (drawingboard only)
On page 445 is a reproduced "Sabre development tree" which I found, which for
the Sabre IIB says:
"Power plant of the Tempest, had vandervell thin wall bearings introduced to later engines.
Max Power 2420 BHP, Max RPM 3850, Max Boost Pressure +11lbs"
I also have a separate memo "D. Naper and Son Ltd, London W.3" which also says Sabre IIB +9lbs (these are also not in the book).
View attachment 601833
BHP RPM Carb Type Boost +Lbs Aircraft Wt. lb/bhp
View attachment 601834The Sabre VA in 1947 was cleared to +15lbs, so that might help "bracket" the figure. (thats not in the book
as it basically ends when the war does except for the "post-mortem" of Germany chapter)
One weak area of the book, is that its not THAT good at laying out what ALL the airframe/engine combination
and their performance`s were - or making a detailed narrative of operational exploits. To be honest I didnt want to go too far down that rabbit-hole, as in my personal
view, its SO hard to match up what the real service performance was relative to the vast multitude of test-flights
and so on, that I felt if I`d tried to make a definitive data-base of that it would have engulfed so much page-space
and research time that I`d have damaged the "core mission" of the book which was a broad description of the
problems and tribulations of each firm.
When you see the monstrous size of the book as it is, you`ll probably understand why we had to say "STOP!"