"The Star of Africa - The Story of Hans Marseille" by Heaton Lewis

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

vikingBerserker

Lieutenant General
Apr 10, 2009
South Carolina
"The Star of Africa - The Story of Hans Marseille"
by Heaton Lewis
Zenith Press - 2012
ISBN: 978-0-7603-4393-7

Star.jpg

I now have a new favorite WW2 ace (sorry Erich Hartmann!) Not only was Marseille an extraordinary fighter pilot, but he was his own man and did things his way, regardless of what others thought. Several cases in point:

1 - During one of Galland's inspection tours of the North African units, Marseille hung a couple of signs on the latrine: (page 57)
"Reserved for the General of the Fighters" and
"General of the Fighters was here"

2 - During a luncheon after having received the Oaks Leaves and Swords to his Knight's Cross (the 12th soldier to have done that) when Goring asked him: "So, you have what, over a hundred conquests?" he asked him if he meant aircraft of women. (page 122). During that same luncheon after noticing Goring was wearing nail polish he asked an SS Officer sitting next to him: "Is there something about him that we should know?" (page 123) Hitler rolled his eyes.

3 - After having received several decorations from Mussolini, he commented to Count Gian Galeazzo Ciano (who happened to be Mussolini's son-in-law) "That man really thinks a lot of himself doesn't he?" (page 99)

And the best:
4 – During one of the parties with the Nazi elite (during a public tour) hosted by Willi Messerschmitt it was made known that Marseille was very musically gifted and was prodded into giving a piano recital. In front of an audience of about 30 people (including Hitler, Goring, Himmler, Axmann, and Bormann) he started playing Beethoven, Brahms, Chopin, and several others for an hour. He then cracked a smile, and proceeded to play Jazz. The same Jazz that was banned by the Reich. Hitler stated the concert was over and left with most of the guests. However Magda Gobbels found it very funny. (page 127).

I could easily go on with a number of other stories. I knew he was a tad on the wild side, I just did not realize to what extent it was to.

This book was released about a week ago and is 215 pages long divided into 10 Chapters and 8 other sections, plus 24 pictures.

There are very few military books that have made me laugh through half of it, his audacity was incredible. There were a number of typos which I felt was odd but still a very enjoyable book.

I easily give it 9.5 x 20mm rounds!

I read this book this week...thoroughly entertaining. I can't believe he strafed his CO's command tent after being grounded...intentionally missing, of course. Marsielle certainly did not hold his tongue when it came to his thoughts about how the war woumd end up, either.

Highly recommended.

Bit late seeing this, but thanks for the review David, and extra comments PC. Think I'll look out for this one.
A quick question David - does the book cover much of his earlier career, for example, in the BoB?

OK, thanks David. Were you aware that the Bf109E, flying in Canada (the one PB Foot volunteers with) was once flown by Marseilles? I believe it's also the same aircraft shown in a well-known BoB photo, belly landed on a French beach.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back