The UK's most dangerous roads revealed

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Yep, saw this mate. And yet again, the 'Cat and Fiddle' road is at the top of the list! It's about three miles from my house, much loved by bikers from across the World! (and pretty rough moorland either side of it).

The Cat and Fiddle route is scary as hell, I've never driven it myself, but I've been a passenger along it many a time and that was plenty scary enough! I would argue that west London has a far greater concentration of nutters and bad drivers than the Peak District, but at least they're all limited to 10mph by traffic! :twisted::lol:

Did the same thing over here a few years back. But the places that got it were not tough roads to drive, they were incredible busy and had a lot of odd convergences in them. One is close to here and it isn't that bad to drive (Roosevelt Expressway) as long as you really hit the gas at the light and get way out in front. Let all the nutbags wipe each other out back in the pack.

A road that I always though looked like something out of "Mad Max" but never got any play was The Cross Bronx Expressway. Man, that is one really dark road. Burned out cars on the side of the road, everything is broken and people are really hauling ass through there. Brutal road.

The Cat and Fiddle route is mainly dangerous because a lot of bikers use it for speed runs. It's not uncommon for a bike to appear around a corner, on the wrong side of the road, doing in the region of 100mph - hence the high number of fatalities around there.

There is a big safety campaign on at the moment to encourage sports bikers to drive in slightly less suicidal manner - I've noticed a few signs around Oxford and Banbury, where I've been working this week, but where I live, much closer to London, there aren't really the roads for that kind of riding.... which is a bit of a relief, to be honest. As a car (or in my work, van) driver, there are few things more alarming than a bike just suddenly appearing in your mirror or right in front of you, going far to fast for you to avoid it if things go wrong. Don't get me wrong, I like to drive fast in my car, but I always feel I'm in control and I do observe speed limits closely in traffic and in built up areas. Driving for work, I'm even more careful because I have a relatively small, but nonetheless bulky and heavy van to drive around. Unfortunately, a small group of bikers do not have the same respect for other drivers :rolleyes:

I came over the Cat and Fiddle just last week, observing the speed limit (didn't say I obeyed it!, but I observed it!). There are signs here and there, showing the fatalities to date. Far as I recal, it was about 23 this year so far. It's a great road to drive, if you know what you're doing, and know how to do it. But some parts are a drop onto rough moorland and bog, others are a shear drop to oblivion, and the rest non-yielding rock walls! Oh, and a lot of the time, it's wreathed in either cloud, fog or rain!
For those who don't know it, it gets its name from the highest inn in England, the Cat and Fiddle, which sits totally isolated on top of the moor, in the cnte of the Pennines. In this area, there are at least 25 aircraft crash sites also!

The Cat and Fiddle route is mainly dangerous because a lot of bikers use it for speed runs. It's not uncommon for a bike to appear around a corner, on the wrong side of the road, doing in the region of 100mph - hence the high number of fatalities around there.

There is a big safety campaign on at the moment to encourage sports bikers to drive in slightly less suicidal manner - I've noticed a few signs around Oxford and Banbury, where I've been working this week, but where I live, much closer to London, there aren't really the roads for that kind of riding.... which is a bit of a relief, to be honest. As a car (or in my work, van) driver, there are few things more alarming than a bike just suddenly appearing in your mirror or right in front of you, going far to fast for you to avoid it if things go wrong. Don't get me wrong, I like to drive fast in my car, but I always feel I'm in control and I do observe speed limits closely in traffic and in built up areas. Driving for work, I'm even more careful because I have a relatively small, but nonetheless bulky and heavy van to drive around. Unfortunately, a small group of bikers do not have the same respect for other drivers :rolleyes:

There is a road like that just north of a town called Stresa on the shores of Lake Magiore in Northern Italy. Just north of the town there is a hook turn which seems to take out a bike rider a week. They hit it at speed and either ram something in the oncoming traffic or go straight into the guardrail along the lake.

Rough, rough corner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back