I've been shot at in a chopper, actual combat, and it's pretty stressful.
I've also circle track raced myself from 1996-2016, helped and spotted ( radio) for other racers at NASCAR, ARA, and other tracks from 1990-to present.
I won't say racing is as stressful as combat, maybe a 6 on a scale of 10.
But I've noticed I can't or any other racer I've been around can keep track of what lap they're on without outside help, like seeing the lap number on the score board, you're exsisting in the second, using every sense you have just to keep the vehicle under control till the next second, you can plan ahead, to some extent, but your mind is in survival mode, not record mode.
When it's over you remember some, but jumbled sometimes, out of order.
One of my early sponsors was a guy that videoed every race. He gave me videos of every race I was in.
Later I would watch those videos, and realize sometimes I didn't remember things in the way they actually happened.
And that's not unique to me alone.
For years afterward we also had GOPRO recorders in the car also.
The human mind is just not equipped to record accurately under stress.
They're not cameras, they're not recorders, they're not computors, they're humans beings.
Maybe rare individuals can, but they're very rare.
So rare I don't think I've ever met any.
Some of you seem to believe perfect recall, of events that happen 50-60, maybe even 70 years before.
I notice the pilot said he circled PROBABLY 75-100 circles. A big variation, and then there is that "probably".
I know most aircraft of that era had clocks.
How many pilots do you think wrote down the time when they entered a dogfight, and again wrote down when it ended?
I think we all know it's just a guess.
I read hundreds of books too, on aerial combat, watched many videos, but I've always realized they're just memories of a human mind.
My dad, and two of my uncles were WW2 Marine veterans, all fought in the Pacific.
We had some interesting family get togethers, this was in the 50's early 60's, I'd try to soak up all they had to say.
I was in my early teens, they were in their late 30's or 40's, about 15-20 years since the war.
Even then I could see that some of their recall of events getting meshed, re-arranged, that they didn't have perfect recall.
They were my heroes , but they were still human.