Thor is coming to Europe/Middle east

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ah you're there already. Watch out for the Belgian roads. They're quite eh, bumpy....

If you're really bored you're welcome at my place. It's only 1 h by train :)

Last edited:
So Marcel. How easy/difficult would it be to get to Auschwitz and back on a day or weekend. My 2 goals are to see Auschwitz and Normandy beach while I'm here. Keep in mind I have no clue where anyting is.

So Marcel. How easy/difficult would it be to get to Auschwitz and back on a day or weekend. My 2 goals are to see Auschwitz and Normandy beach while I'm here. Keep in mind I have no clue where anyting is.

That'll be quite a stretch, but I know what distances you Americans are used to :) Maybe you could take a long weekend per trip?
Auswitch is a 12 hour drive, around 1200 km, about 760 miles or so. You could try Bergen-Belsen, which is about half the distance.
I think Normandy is doable. , 550 km or around 300 miles.

300 miles is nothing. That's a trip from Dallas to San Antonio. Heck, I have made that trip just to eat lunch on the river walk in San Antonio. I wish I could figure out if there was a high speed train or something to go to Auschwitz to cut the time down. Well, I'll get some of the ladies at the office to try and figure that one out for me. Maybe next weekend I'll go to Normandy. I'm not coming to Europe for the first time and not see anything. Do you know if there are any good air museums around here?

300 miles is nothing. That's a trip from Dallas to San Antonio. Heck, I have made that trip just to eat lunch on the river walk in San Antonio. I wish I could figure out if there was a high speed train or something to go to Auschwitz to cut the time down. Well, I'll get some of the ladies at the office to try and figure that one out for me. Maybe next weekend I'll go to Normandy. I'm not coming to Europe for the first time and not see anything. Do you know if there are any good air museums around here?
You should visit Brussels. They have a great military museum, with a big hall full of aircraft. It's free entry. While you're there also visit the Coudenberg palace, it's a part of the old palace burried under the ground. Brussels is a great city. In the Netherlands, you'll have the Aviodrome in Leleystad. Unfortunately the MLM closed down for the merge with our military museum. Germany also have some nice air musea.
And of course you could go to london, just a short hop by aircraft or boat and visit Hendon, the RAF museum. The best one by far.

Oh and if you have more afternoons free and want to see a rare ww2 relic, you could visit Breda. In one of the suburbs there is a very rare type Panther tank, just standing there between the houses. I think the only Ausf D in existance.

Last edited:
And there's the tank museum at Saumur, too. Also, at Arnhem and Oosterbeek, there are the Airborne Forces Museum and the Airborne cemetary, plus,of course, the John Frost Bridge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back