Thoughts on the Chu X-P0 and XP-1?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Admiral Beez

Captain
Oct 21, 2019
Toronto, Canada
The Chu X-PO is technologically behind by 1943, but had it entered service in 1941 it might have been competitive.

The gull wing XP-1 is interesting.

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FKrIoNHS.png

Thoughts?

China at the time must have had a shortage of experienced test pilots, both aircraft never survived their maiden flights.
That would hamper any aircraft's development .

The XP-0 looks a lot like a P-36, but according to the Complete Book of Fighters, it had a steel tube fuselage, and wood framed wings, so completely different from the P-36, under the skin.

Any performance figures have to be just estimates, but I do wonder how they expected about 360 mph out of the XP-1 with a 710 hp engine.

There are likely no authentic documents or specifications remaining on the XP-1. All specifications found in books or online are simply estimations or conjecture. I have consulted a Taiwanese aviation historian (you can read more about it in the article I linked earlier) who was able to interview the only surviving designer of the XP-1 who confirmed that there are no surviving documents or anything else related to the XP-1 that he knows of. With that being said, it is extremely dubious that any accurate or authentic specifications remain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back