Hs-129 use on the Western Front/MTO?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

BarnOwlLover

Staff Sergeant
Nov 3, 2022
Mansfield, Ohio, USA
I know that the Eastern Front is where the majority of these aircraft operated, but It seems that some operated in the MTO and the Western Front as well. I'm wondering about the impressions of their use in those areas, how successful or not they were, and if they achieved anything of note against the Western Allies.

I knew of some in North Africa, but I remember (maybe in error) about some used in France post Normandy Landings. If not, the latter would make for an interesting "what if".

The closest Hs129 gruppe to Normandy in June 1944, would have been in Poland.

Any "what-if" for Hs129 operations over the Normandy beachhead would conclude in disaster.
The Luftwaffe simply did not have enough fighters to ensure successful ground attack by any types (except perhaps for the Fw190F/G) and the Me262 (as fighter OR ground attack) was just working up in an Ekdo gruppe, so was not available.

Yes, well aware of the captured Hs129 in France.

Plenty of "stories" revolving around it, such as it making attack runs over the beach before being shot down, being shot down by a P-47 after a dogfight and so on.

If you examine the photo, though, the damage to it is more conaistant with the bomb damage to the hangar, indicating that it was parked when damaged, not shot down.

Also, if it were shot down either by ground fire or a P-47, it's highly unlikely that the Germans would have been able to recover it.

Additionally, there is no record (so far as I have seen) of any Hs129s being sent West to France.

This may have been one of the Hs129s that were slated to have engine upgrades to the Hs129C/D configuration.

Here is a link to my very old article about the Hs 129 in North Africa: The Henschel Hs 129 in Tunisia. And attached is the first page of a much more recent version. In summary, the Hs 129 Staffel sent to Libya was a complete failure, while the Hs 129 Staffel serving in Tunisia enjoyed limited success until the very end of the campaign in May 1943.

The Hs 129s in France in 1944 were serving with ground-attack training units (see Schlachtgeschwader 101), and definitely did not see any combat.

Attachments

• Hs 129 in North Africa article first page.jpg
    Hs 129 in North Africa article first page.jpg
    262.6 KB · Views: 9

Users who are viewing this thread

Back